I think s’mores are the epitome of summer. Normally, I’d enjoy these campfire treats at a cottage over a bonfire. Since I don’t own either (a cottage or a fire pit), I figured I’d bring the flavours of s’mores to the kitchen with this mouthwatering S’mores Cake.
It has the same familiar flavours of s’mores that we all love. The base is a graham cracker cake that is incredibly moist and practically melts in your mouth. The middle layer is silky rich chocolate ganache. The topping is my favourite though. Toasted marshmallows. Ahhhhh. Pure heaven.
My sister is getting married this week and I made this cake to bring to her bridal shower a few weekends ago. I cut the pieces extra small so everyone could have a taste. THERE WAS SOOOO MUCH FOOD. I didn’t think it would get eaten as quickly as it did because of how many amazing dishes there were to try. Everyone was raving about how good the cake was and a few even asked for the recipe. Here ya go, friends.
How to Make S’mores Cake
There’s a few steps to this recipe, but they aren’t hard to do. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with parchment paper. This will make removing the cake super easy once it’s cooked.
Grab a large bowl and your mixer. Beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar. Add in eggs, one at a time, while continuing to beat. Add in the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
In another bowl, stir the graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder, Pour the egg mixture in and stir to combine. Then pour the mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes at 350F.
Once your cake has baked and cooled a bit, start preparing the chocolate ganache. You can use a double boiler here to be on the safe side. I was lazy and just did it in a saucepan over very low heat so I wouldn’t burn the chocolate. Add the chocolate and heavy cream to a small saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Once the chocolate is melted, pour it over the cake.
The last step is to make the marshmallow topping which is just marshmallows! Preheat your own to broil on LOW heat. Place marshmallows on top of the chocolate ganache. Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Make sure you watch it because it BURNS quickly!!!
Remove from the oven and let it cool at room temperature for 15 minutes before transferring it to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
I don’t mind my marshmallows a little burnt, but I was hoping they’d be just a little toasty for the shower since not everyone shares my taste.
When I roast marshmallows over the fire, I always wait till they have some black patches on them. So yummy! This S’mores Cake is the next best thing.
Craving more s’mores? Try my S’mores Ice Pops, Strawberry S’mores and S’mores Coffee Milkshake.
Are you a s’mores lover?
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 graham crackers, crushed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 to 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, broken up into pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together with a mixer the butter, brown sugar and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, continuing to beat. Add in vanilla and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder. Pour in egg mixture and stir. Pour mixture into greased baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and heavy cream to a small saucepan. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove immediately from heat once chocolate melts. Pour over top of the cooled cake.
- Preheat oven to broil on low heat. Top chocolate with marshmallows. Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes at room temperature before transferring to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
Keep an eye on the marshmallows because they will go from lightly toasted to burnt in a matter of seconds.
Nutrition Information: Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504 Total Fat: 29.3g Saturated Fat: 15.6g Trans Fat: 0.2g Unsaturated Fat: 9.6g Cholesterol: 124.7mg Sodium: 156mg Fiber: 2.8g Sugar: 44.4g Protein: 6.9g