Grandma’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Grandma’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake brings back fond memories of lazy afternoons hanging out with my grandmother. She would serve either tea or coffee with our dessert. I usually chose coffee as an adult. I started drinking it when I was 20. As a child, I’d opt for something more kid-friendly like milk or juice.
Grandma’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake
I’ve tried bad coffee cake recipes and this isn’t one of them. One time, I made a coffee cake from a cookbook and it was beyond dry and had a weird aftertaste. Needless to say, it didn’t even compare to grandma’s recipe and I never made it again. I promise you, this cinnamon coffee cake is not like that. It’s sweet, moist and melt-in-your-mouth good. Making this recipe reminds me of my grandma who I miss beyond words.
What is Coffee Cake?
There are many varieties of Coffee Cake depending on what part of the world you are in. My grandma’s recipe is an American Coffee Cake which is more of a crumb cake that has cinnamon on top. Yes, we are Canadian, but we have lots of American influences here in Canada.
The British Coffee Cake is a sponge cake that is flavoured with coffee. I haven’t tried that style yet. All the coffee cakes I’ve made don’t actually have coffee in them.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make Coffee Cake
It’s very easy! I use an 8×8 square baking pan for this recipe. I find any bigger and the cake is too thin.
You start it the way you would any other cake by creaming the sugar and the melted butter together. The egg and milk are mixed in and you can either stir it by hand or use your mixer to combine. Next, the dry ingredients are added and I usually mix this part by hand so flour doesn’t fly all over my kitchen.
After you spread the batter into the pan, it’s time to make the topping. You don’t even have to mix this part in a bowl. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top and dot the cake with butter. Add a sprinkling of cinnamon and the streusel topping is ready to go.
I recommend checking the cake for doneness at the 30 minute mark. See if a toothpick comes out of the centre clean. Everyone’s oven is different and yours might bake hotter than mine.
Let it cool on a cooling rack until you are ready to serve. It cuts up beautifully once it has cooled a bit.
What to Serve with Coffee Cake
I’m glad you asked! The obvious answer is COFFEE. I mean, it’s in the name of the recipe, right? You can also serve coffee cake with tea.
If you are serving coffee cake for breakfast, enjoy it with a tall glass of your favourite juice. I like freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast.
For the kiddos who want a hot beverage with their snack, make them a hot chocolate.
Coffee Cake Recipes
Check out these yummy coffee cake recipes from my blogger friends!
- Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Lemon Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Coffee Cake Muffins
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Easy Carrot Coffee Cake
- Peach Coffee Cake
- Coffee Cake Muffins (Vegan)
- Slow Cooker Coffee Cake
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins
- Mason Jar Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake
- Apple Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together white sugar and 2 tbsp melted butter. Add in egg and milk and stir to combine. Add in flour, salt and baking powder and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture in pan. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Dot with remaining butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out of the centre clean. Let cool before serving.
- Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Square Cake Pans, 8-Inch, Multipack of 2
- KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
- Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403 Total Fat: 7.7g Saturated Fat: 4.3g Unsaturated Fat: 2.9g Cholesterol: 41.6mg Sodium: 189.5mg Carbohydrates: 80.5g Fiber: 3.2g Sugar: 58.3g Protein: 6.9g