Orange Creamsicle Salad
This Orange Creamsicle Salad satisfies my dessert cravings AND is light enough to serve as a barbecue side dish! No matter the time, it’s a great fluffy, sweet compliment to any meal!
Orange Creamsicle Salad
Is it a salad or is it a dessert? You decide. This Orange Creamsicle Salad is an old-fashioned favorite that pleases even the youngest crowds. It’s perfect for a light, summery dessert, and it goes great alongside a heavy holiday meal. There’s no time you can’t serve this salad!
The tang of the juicy mandarin oranges surrounded by sweet cream and mini marshmallows makes this dessert salad feel decadent and rich without heavy and too much after a meal! I like to make this for a quick weekend dinner because it’s half fruit salad, half healthier dessert option!
Looking to use more mandarin oranges but less dairy? Try my Sunshine Salad, a deliciously fresh and acidic tropical fruit salad with bananas and pineapple!
Did I mention this Orange Creamsicle Salad is only FOUR ingredients? You can throw this recipe together quickly if you need an extra side for dinner or want to add a bit of sweetness to the meal.
- Cool Whip — you can also use whipped cream here, but I find the Cool Whip is lighter in flavor and calories
- Cottage cheese
- Orange Jello
- Can of Mandarin Oranges
My favorite part is when I bite into the juicy mandarin oranges that are mixed throughout! The mix of the acidic oranges and the sweet cream reminds me of the quintessential orange creamsicles of childhood.
What I used for my Orange Creamsicle Salad
- Colander: This colander is great for straining and washing! The handles make it easy to use and the holes are big enough to drain your liquids off while keeping the food in the colander!
- Measuring spoons and cups: Everyone needs a good set of measuring cups and spoons, and these are excellent! The handles make the measuring tools easy to attach and stay together, so no more losing that tiny teaspoon in your drawer!
- Mixing bowls: These glass mixing bowls are beautiful and practical. I love being able to see all my ingredients through the bowl and they nest inside each other for space saving!
This recipe barely needs a recipe, it’s so easy. Combine, stir, and you’re done!
How to Make Orange Creamsicle Salad
- Add all your ingredients to a big mixing bowl and stir to combine. I like to add everything but the marshmallows and mix that before gently folding the marshmallows in to keep them from deflating.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. That’s it! This can be made hours before you’re ready to eat.
Versions of this recipe have been made for generations! In my family, it’s typically served at special occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. It’s sweet, creamy, fluffy and delicious without being too rich or heavy.
What to serve with Orange Creamsicle Salad
Anywhere you would serve a fruit salad, you could definitely have this! My kids like to have this plain, nothing but a bowl and a spoon, and eat it like ice cream. Nothing wrong with that! It’s delicious on its own and goes great with other dishes, both sweet and savory!
How to serve Orange Creamsicle Salad
I like to serve this simply, in a large serving bowl with a decoration of a handful of mandarin oranges fanned across the top for decoration as well as a sprinkling of toasted coconut.
Looking for a little more presentation? Serve Orange Creamsicle Salad over a slice of angel food cake with an extra dollop of Cool Whip and toasted coconut on top for the ultimate fluffy, flavorful summer dessert!
How long does Orange Creamsicle Salad last?
This dessert salad, as with many creamy fruit salads, will last about five days in the refrigerator, so this is a perfect make ahead dish! The longer the flavors sit together, the more they meld together, so feel free to make this the day before your next pool party or barbecue for an even fresher flavor the next day!
I prefer to decorate my Orange Creamsicle Salad within about half an hour of serving to keep the mandarin oranges from drying out in the air or to keep from losing the coconut topping to the mixture.
Other delicious dessert recipes to try…
Do you have any recipes for dessert-like salads? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 500g cottage cheese
- 500g Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 orange Jello
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- Mix cottage cheese and orange Jello together in a large bowl.
- Add Cool Whip and stir.
- Set five mandarin oranges aside for garnish. Add in remaining mandarin oranges and stir. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Garnish with mandarin oranges before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 559Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 514mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 16g