Banana Chocolate Cake
You know the saying that food is the way to a man’s heart? I’m thinking it’s also the way to a mother’s heart, too. With Mother’s Day coming up, why not bake mom an unforgettable treat made with love? I’ve got the perfect recipe for you that she will absolutely love! It’s easy for the kids to help make and tastes amazing. This Banana Chocolate Cake is perfect for you to celebrate all that mom does this Mother’s Day!
This is not your ordinary cake. I used a secret ingredient to add rich chocolate flavour: Almond Breeze in unsweetened chocolate. I was thinking of using regular Almond Breeze until I saw the chocolate flavour at the grocery store. I was curious to see what it would add to the cake. It worked beautifully adding extra moistness and more luscious chocolate flavour. Extra chocolate is never a bad idea in my books!
Baking with Almond Breeze is a “breeze”. You can substitute it in your recipes wherever milk is called for. Substitute it cup for cup. I recently used Almond Breeze in a Rustic Bacon, Herb and Vegetable Pie and it was a hit with my family!
I love that Almond Breeze is made 100% from real almonds. It’s also gluten-free, lactose- free and soy-free. It’s a fabulous dairy-free alternative.
I made this cake with the help of my older daughter. She’s leaving the nest this year to go away to school and I’ve been showing her how to make a few recipes. Her boyfriend was here to sample our work and he could not stop eating this cake. I had to stop him at his third piece so there would be enough for the rest of us! I guess that is a sign of a good recipe when you can’t stop at just one piece.
One other thing I liked about this recipe is that I didn’t need to use a mixer. Everything can be mixed by hand. I use a hand mixer these days so it saved my arms from beating the batter.
Banana Chocolate Cake
Rich, luscious and fully of yummy chocolate flavour. You won’t be able to stop at just one piece.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Breeze
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar and cocoa powder, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together vegetable oil and sugar. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add in bananas and vanilla and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Working in batches, stir 1/3 of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Add 1/3 of the Almond Breeze and stir. Repeat until everything is mixed together. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the centre clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before attempting to remove from the pan.
- Before serving, sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder on top, if desired.
I recommend serving this cake with a tall cold glass of chocolate Almond Breeze. It’s the perfect companion to this mouthwatering cake.
Now that Olivia, my oldest daughter, knows how to make this cake, I’ve sent hints her way to make me one for Mother’s Day. I’m not sure if she caught on or not, but I’d love to be surprised with a homemade cake baked with love. If you are looking for a special dessert that is not too difficult to make, give this recipe a try. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. It’s mom-approved!
You might also enjoy this Mocha Cake.
Do you bake any special treats for mom for Mother’s Day?
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.