Pecan Butter Tarts
Pecan Butter Tarts are a classic Canadian dessert that are actually quite easy to make. They are sweet, gooey and the perfect treat to end a nice meal.
Butter tarts are Canada’s best dessert in my opinion. I used to say that I had a butter tart addiction because I could never turn them away.
John and I often buy them from a vendor at our local farmer’s market. The homemade ones are so much better than the store bought version. People would line up before it even opened to buy them. They were just that good! She always sold out and had to turn disappointed customers away.
Pecan Butter Tarts
I’m not about to set up shop at the farmer’s market, but I did find this easy recipe to make them myself in The Pampered Chef Favourites Cookbook.
If you don’t like pecans, you could use raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips or just leave them plain. I’ve made them a bunch of different ways depending on my mood that day. They are really hard to mess up.
I also used pre-made tarts to save on time and I’m not much of a baker. If you enjoy making your own crust, then try them that way.
Bet you can’t stop at just one!
How to Make Pecan Butter Tarts
You are going to LOVE how simple this recipe is!
Grab a mixing bowl and stir together melted butter, brown sugar, egg and pecans.
Fill each tart with the sugary filling.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350F until the tarts are a light golden brown.
Let them cool in the pan for 3 minutes and then remove them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
Can You Freeze Pecan Butter Tarts
Yes, you can freeze them! Make a bunch of extra tarts to freeze to enjoy later on. They make great little treats to bring out when company pops over.
Butter Tart Related Recipes
If you are as obsessed with butter tarts as I am, you are going to want to check out these related recipes.
- Pecan Butter Tart Buns: A cross between Pecan Butter Tarts, Chelsea Buns and Monkey Bread. These three desserts are combined together to create an indulgent delight!
- Butter Tart Muffins: A breakfast twist on a classic Canadian dessert.
- Maple Pecan Squares: So addicting! They are a cross between a butter tart and pecan pie.
- Pecan Cake Bars: Chewy, moist and incredibly delicious. The addition of pecans adds a lovely crunch to each bite. Try this recipe for holiday baking!
So if you haven’t made butter tarts yet, you need to! Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed. They are everywhere in Canada, but I know I have lots of international readers and I don’t want you to miss out on this much deliciousness.
Pick up the ingredients or look in your pantry. You might already have everything you need!
You might also like this Peanut Pie.
Have you tried butter tarts before?
- Package of 18 mini tart shells (or make your own with your favourite recipe)
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar, egg and pecans in a mixing bowl.
- Fill each tart shell with nut filling.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 3 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 tart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1.9gUnsaturated Fat: 4.6gCholesterol: 13.7mgSodium: 45.1mgCarbohydrates: 11.2gFiber: 0.6gSugar: 6.4gProtein: 1.3g