Green Bean & Tomato Salad Recipe

I think green beans just may be my favourite veggie! For a long time, it was broccoli, but I’ve been using green beans more in recipes and I can’t get enough of them!

I discovered this simple recipe in Sobey’s free magazine, Inspired. I love how quick it is to whip up for a side dish. If you are having a barbecue, this would be a great addition. It’s nutritious, flavourful and fresh.

June seems to be the best month to buy local green beans in our area. I bought organic green beans that were already trimmed and triple washed at the grocery store. There’s slim pickins’ right now for green beans at our grocery store. Guess I’m about a month to late! Oh well, the salad still was amazing!

Green Bean & Tomato Salad

Green Bean & Tomato Salad

• 3/4 lb green beans, ends trimmed
  • 1  cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • salt & pepper

1. Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Pat dry and transfer to a bowl. Mix in tomatoes, shallot and basil.

2. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add to veggies and toss. Serves 4.

Green Bean & Tomato Salad

If you are looking for more green bean recipes, check out my recipes for Southern-Style Green Beans, Garden Vegetable Beef Skillet, and Chili Buttered Green Beans & Almonds

What’s your favourite green bean recipe?

Comments

1. Anne Taylor says

We love fresh green beans and have for many years! I’ve never served them like this though. This sounds so refreshing and light! Thanks

2. sarah sar says

Mmmmmm love how this is super easy and quick to make. I never know what to do with green beans when I’m given them and it never occured to me to try making a salad with it. I shall have to try this!

3. Amanda T. says

I love my aunt’s green bean casserole and I definitely excited about trying this recipe. It looks delicious!

4. md kennedy says

What a coinkydinky – I just got some fresh cherry tomatoes and green beans at the farmers’ market yesterday morning – this is a great way to use them. Thanks!

5. Soozle says

Great sounding recipe! I am growing cherry tomatoes & green beans in my garden – I will definitely be trying this recipe when they are ready to harvest! :-)

Thank yoU!

6. Deb Dorrington says

Like yourself I love fresh green beans, your recipes sounds like just the thing for a fresh summer salad. I know I’m going to make it this week sometime for sure…

7. Patricia Hoffmeister says

This sounds great. When I cook green beans to eat as a side dish, I usually cut up tomatoes and onions in them when I serve them.

8. Debbie Welchert says

Our green beans will be ready in our garden in about a week. This recipe looks so yummy I have to try it. I also have to try the Garden Vegetable Beef skillet too. I can’t wait!

This sounds refreshing, light, and wonderful. I will have to try it. I love broccoli and tomatoes and his would be a good combination too. I’d add onions with the shallots but lve the use of vinegar and oil.

10. Suzanne Smith says

Such a summer-y recipe. I have Pinned to my Simply Stacie board. Maybe add some delightfull buffalo cheese or chevre on top? MMMM.

11. Diane says

Sounds like the perfect lunch salad and it’s a nice change up from lettuce!!
    I wanted to bring this in for lunch at work…you recommend keeping the dressing mixed on the side in a container or if made the night before to mix it into the green beans?

12. Stacy Scott says

I too am a Huge fan of Green Beans, However I always cooked them plain. This Looks Mouth watering and sounds Delicious, This is one my lists to do in the next couple days. Thank you so much for Sharing. Looks like something you would see in the restaurants =)

13. Karen D says

Since the tomatoes are finally getting ripe, and I have some of this week’s green beans in the fridge, I think that this would be a good recipe to make tonight. Thanks!

14. Tim Anderson says

Looks really good I’m definitely going to try it. I was wondering if adding pine nuts, almonds or another kind of nut would be good. Any suggestions?