Say goodbye to winter with this beautiful dessert, strawberries in the snow. Light angel food cake layered on cream and covered in strawberries. A wonderful dessert to serve at a spring or summer gathering.
Springtime is one of my favorite times of year. It always reminds me of new beginnings. We are starting to see signs of spring here in the southeast. The trees and daffodils are starting to bloom and the weather is slowly getting warmer.
When I graduated from high school my mom gave me one of my favorite gifts of all time, a binder filled with her favorite recipes. It was for my “new beginning”, living alone at college. These are recipes that she made and recipes that had been passed down through our family. My mom thought I would be able to make them for myself and friends when I was away at school.
One of the recipes she included was strawberries in the snow. This is a dessert my grandmother used to make us every Easter. Me and my sister would try to quickly eat our Easter dinner so we could get to the strawberries in the snow.
This recipe is very simple but is delicious! Start by buying or making an angel food cake. I use a box mix for my cake. Once it is baked and cooled, cube or tear the cake into 1-inch pieces. While the cake is baking, slice up fresh strawberries and mix them in a bowl with sugar. Let this mixture sit for at least one hour.
Next make the cream layer or the “snow”. Mix together softened cream cheese, frozen whipped topping and powdered sugar until combined and creamy. Spread the cream mixture in a 9×13 casserole dish and add a layer of cake pieces on top. Push some of the cake pieces down in the cream mixture. Combine the strawberry and sugar mixture with a package of strawberry glaze. Spread over the cake mixture and chill in the refrigerator.
Strawberries in the snow is a perfect dessert to serve for spring and summer holidays. It can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator. You can serve it in a casserole dish, trifle bowl, or even make individual servings.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
You’ll also love these Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies.
Are you a strawberry fan?
- 1 baked angel food cake (I use a boxed mix for mine)
- 2 (8oz/250g) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 large (16oz tub) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 quart strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (14oz tub) strawberry glaze
- In a small bowl, stir sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar together. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- After strawberries have chilled and made some juice, stir in strawberry glaze.
- In a mixer, beat softened cream cheese, frozen whipped topping and powdered sugar together until creamy.
- Spread cream mixture in a 9×13 dish. Cut angel food cake into small, 1-inch pieces and place the cake on top of cream mixture.
- Gently push some of the cake pieces into the cream.
- Top with strawberry mixture. Chill in the refrigerator.
I reserve approximately 1/2 cup of the cream mixture to pipe on top of the dessert for decoration. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 3gSugar: 52gProtein: 5g