Butterscotch Bars are super sweet and rich! This easy dessert is a bit like a brown sugar fudge, but with more goodness added.
This sweet treat is a bit like a fudge with its intense sweetness. Yet, it’s also like a bar/square. It doesn’t really matter what you call it – just enjoy it in all it’s delicious dessert glory.
It reminds me a little of an Oat Fudge I made before. Both are brown sugar based with oats inside. This recipe has more texture and chewiness. It’s also baked while the Oat Fudge is not.
I’m a big fan of butterscotch. I even prefer over chocolate! I know that may seem crazy to some, but butterscotch is more my style. Don’t get me wrong, chocolate is wonderful, too. However, butterscotch just has that special place in my heart (and stomach) that brings me back to childhood.
This recipe is SWEET! Because it is so intensely rich, your sweet tooth will likely be satisfied after one or two pieces. They don’t even have to be big pieces. I cut mine pretty small and found the size to be perfect for everyone.
The recipe starts out on the stove and then moves to the oven to finish. It’s ready in 30 minutes!
Butterscotch Bars Ingredients
Just 5 ingredients!
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Rolled oats
How to Make Butterscotch Bars
Begin by preheating the oven to 300F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
Add brown sugar and butter to a medium pot over medium heat. Stir until combined and butter is melted. Add baking soda and continue to stir for another minute or until the mixture has the consistency of honey. Remove from heat and add rolled oats and vanilla extract. Stir.
Press mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
The kitchen essentials will help you prepare this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
More Butterscotch Recipes
- Coconut Butterscotch Cookies
- Butterscotch Pudding
- Butterscotch Sauce
- Butterscotch Blondies
- Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars
- No-Bake Butterscotch Cookies
How to Serve Butterscotch Bars
- Serve them on their own as squares with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee/tea.
- Crumble them in a bowl and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle some butterscotch sauce, chocolate sauce or caramel sauce on top for extra decadence.
How to Store Butterscotch Bars
Store them in an air tight container at room temperature. Alternatively, you can place the squares on a plate and cover in plastic wrap. Eat and enjoy within 3 days for best flavour.
What is your favorite butterscotch recipe?
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 300F. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Add brown sugar and butter to a medium pot over medium heat. Stir until combined. Add baking soda and continue to stir for a minute or so until mixture has consistency of honey. Remove from heat and add rolled oats and vanilla. Stir.
- Press into baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g