Creamy Cabbage Soup
Creamy Cabbage Soup is hearty and comforting! This delicious and easy soup recipe is loaded with tender cabbage, carrots, celery, ham and spices. Yum!
Creamy Cabbage Soup
I wasn’t sure so about this Creamy Cabbage Soup before I tried it. Don’t get me wrong, I love regular Cabbage Soup with its tomato based broth. I even have shared Cabbage Roll Soup and Sausage & Cabbage Soup on this blog and they are two of my more popular recipes. But cabbage with cream? I figured I’d find out.
My sister shared this recipe with me from her mother-in-law. She was telling me how delicious it was and that I needed to try it. I was up for the challenge so that’s exactly what I did!
The final result? OMG….amazeballs! This Creamy Cabbage Soup is one of the best soups I’ve ever made. No joke! It’s seasoned perfectly and has the perfect texture and flavor. I absolutely love it and I hope you do, too!
I had a friend over when I was making this soup. She was skeptical to about it until she tried it. We both agreed it was one of the better soups that I’ve made. She took a container home with her to share with her daughter.
Creamy Cabbage Soup Ingredients
This soup recipe has loads of wholesome ingredients. It’s filled with veggies including cabbage (of course!), celery, onions and carrots.
The broth is a base of chicken broth, milk and half and half cream. I used flour and butter to thicken it up.
The only meat is cooked cubed ham. You could leave that out if you wanted to make it vegetarian.
It’s seasoned with salt, pepper and dried thyme. You could also use fresh thyme if you wish. Use about 1 tablespoon instead of 1/2 teaspoon as stated in the recipe.
How to Make Creamy Cabbage Soup
Grab a big pot and get started by adding the chicken broth, celery, cabbage, onions and carrots to the pot and bringing the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
In another bowl, stir together cream and milk. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add the cream and milk mixture and make sure to continue to stir constantly. Cook until it reaches your desired thickness.
Gradually add the cream mixture to the vegetable mixture, stirring to combine. Add in the ham and dried thyme and heat through.
You garnish with some fresh parsley if you wish. I like it because it adds a nice pop of color.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you prepare the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Soup Recipes
Looking for more easy and delicious soup recipes to try? Here you go!
- Tomato Florentine Soup – An easy soup recipe ready to eat in 20 minutes! It’s full of delicious tomatoes, pasta and spinach.
- Cream of Celery Soup – Creamy and flavorful! This easy soup recipe is so much better than the canned stuff.
- Busy Day Soup – An easy soup recipe your family will love! It’s quick to make and takes little effort. Perfect for those busy weeknights.
- Hamburger Soup – My version of my grandma’s favourite soup. It’s hearty, filling and flavourful. Enjoy a piping hot bowl on a cold winter’s day.
- Creamy Chicken & Vegetable Soup – Enjoy a big bowl of this healthy and nourishing soup. Cold days are welcome when you have soup like this one ready to serve!
Would you love a big bowl of this Creamy Cabbage Soup?
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups ham, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Chopped parsley, for garnish, if desired
- Add chicken broth, celery, cabbage, onions and carrot to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir together cream and milk in a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add cream and milk mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until it reaches desired thickness.
- Gradually add cream mixture to vegetable mixture, stirring to combine. Add in ham and thyme. Heat through.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 1192mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g