Apple Magic Dessert
I was debating on the name for this recipe. It could be called an Apple Dump Cake, but “dump” isn’t the most appetizing of names if you know what I mean. I prefer Apple Magic Dessert. John helped me make the video for this recipe and he kept saying, “Are you sure this is going to work?”. I told him that it would and to just wait and see. When he took his first bite, he said it was like “magic”. Hence, the name Apple Magic Dessert. There ya go.
Pie filling + caramel sauce + doctored cake mix and lots of butter sounds strange, but it all works beautifully together. Once you try it, you’ll see I’m not crazy and it’s really good.
If I wasn’t watching my waistline, I probably could have eaten this entire dessert myself. It’s sooo yummy and I was craving it for days after it was gone.
I guess this could be classified as a cake mix hack. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you’ll know I love hacks and super easy recipes. I hope you’ll give this one a try at home and tell me how it turned out for you!
How do you use cake mix in your recipes?
Apple Magic Dessert
Technically, a dump cake, but I prefer to call it a magic dessert. This easy recipe is made with pie filling, caramel sauce, doctored cake mix and butter.
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/4 cup apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1 Betty Crocker Super Moist Golden Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp apple spice
- 1 cup butter, cold, divided
- whipped cream, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread apple pie filling on the bottom of baking pan. Pour caramel sauce evenly over top.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cake mix, apple pie spice and walnuts. Add in 1/2 cup butter and stir until crumbly. Pour mixture on top of apple pie filling.
- Slice remaining butter into 1 inch long pieces. Place evenly on top of mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. Add a dollop of whipped cream on top of each piece if desired.