Wife Saver Breakfast
If you ever google “Wife Saver Breakfast” you’ll discover that there are many variations. Some include meat and veggies while others (like mine) have fruit instead. The one constant is that the dish is prepared the night before and then baked the next morning. My cousin, Nicole, shared her recipe for Wife Saver Breakfast with me for a family cookbook project I’m working on. I’d never heard of it before (hence the googling).
It reminds me a little of French Toast but in a casserole form. It has the bread in the form of croissants, eggs, spices and topped with peaches and maple syrup. It’s a sweet and filling way to start your day! Next time I make it I’m going to be try a different fruit like berries.
Try this recipe if you’ve got a house full of company. They’ll be impressed that you whipped up such a delicious meal so early in the day. Shhh it’s our little secret 😉
Have you made a Wife Saver Breakfast before? If so, what is in your recipe?
- 6 croissants
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 big can of unsweetened sliced peaches, drained (I think the one I used was around 700 ml)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- maple syrup, to taste
- Grease a 9×13 pan. Break croissants into bite sized pieces and spread on the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Pour over top of croissants.
- Layer the peaches on top. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup.
I used the already baked croissants in this recipe from the bakery at our grocery store.
- HIC Oblong Rectangular Baking Dish Roasting Lasagna Pan, Fine White Porcelain, 13-Inches x 9-Inches x 2.5-Inches
- Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385 Total Fat: 17.5g Saturated Fat: 9.2g Unsaturated Fat: 6.2g Cholesterol: 141.2mg Sodium: 760.6mg Carbohydrates: 46.3g Fiber: 3.4g Sugar: 21.4g Protein: 10.5g
You are going to love
If you enjoyed this Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole, you will also love these posts!