Before Christmas, I bought myself a new slow cooker. I always enjoy using it when the weather is cold. There’s nothing like the house filling up with delicious aromas as our supper cooks. It’s hard to not open the lid and take just a tiny bite.
I found this recipe for Sausage Jambalaya in my copy of Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight. I had to change a few ingredients because of the lack of selection in our local grocery stores. I think it turned out pretty darn good though. It was just the right amount of hot and spicy. I ate mine minus the rice to keep it low carb. I’ve been craving it since I made it last weekend!
An easy slow cooker meal with just the right mix of hot and spicy!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 hot Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Combine first six ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Serve over rice.