Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
I discovered this recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Chicken in my issue of Canadian Living Fresh & Healthy which showcases recipes with loads of fruits and veggies. I’m always looking for low carb recipes that I can eat guilt-free and this one fit the bill perfectly. And it was soooo good! The pancetta really makes the sauce. I could just eat a bowl of it alone!
Chicken in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Healthy and hearty!
- 3 red peppers
- 1 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 85 g/3 oz. pancetta
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- Broil red peppers until softened and charred for 15 minutes. Let cool. Peel, seed and core. In a food processor, blender or hand blender, puree peppers with tomato paste until smooth.
- In the meantime, cut chicken breasts in half to make 8 pieces. Toss with paprika and salt to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat and brown chicken in batches for about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Drain fat from pot and wipe out.
- Add remaining oil to the Dutch oven and saute onion and garlic until soft (about 5 minutes). Add pancetta and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 2 minutes. Then return the chicken to the pan.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in red pepper mixture. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.