This Meatzza Casserole is perfect for a cold day! It’s a hearty meal that will fill your belly and warm you up. I was craving pizza again, but wanted to do something different. I created this filling casserole recipe with all my fave pizza ingredients. Yes, there is a lot of meat, but that’s how I dress my fave pizza. I’m calling this a Meatzza Casserole because it’s jammed with four kinds of meat and tastes like pizza.
I wasn’t joking when I said it was meaty! It has FOUR sources – pepperoni, Italian sausage, ground beef and bacon. For veggies, I added green peppers, onions and mushrooms. I would rather have used fresh sliced mushrooms, but our local Walmart produce section was almost empty so I had to improvise with canned mushrooms. Either option will work though.
This recipe is quite big leaving us lots of leftovers. It tastes just as good heated up the next day. I added a bit of shredded cheese to our bowls since we ate most of the cheese on top the first day.
This crowd pleasing casserole recipe is packed with four kinds of meat, pizza sauce, veggies and oohey gooey cheese!
- 3 cups pasta of your choice, uncooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup pepperoni slices
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 390ml jars pizza sauce (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, bacon and sausage over medium heat, stirring to break up beef and sausage. Once the meat is almost cooked (about 10 minutes), add in onion, green peppers, garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add pasta, pizza sauce, meat and veggie mixture to a large casserole dish (3 quarts). Stir to combine. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, for an additional five minutes. Serve hot.
If meat isn’t your thing or you don’t care for some of the ingredients I used in mine, feel free to improvise. That’s the beauty of this recipe. You can mix and match ingredients to suit your taste. Meat is pricey so it isn’t something we can enjoy that often, especially in this quantity! I’ll make it again and probably include one or two of the types of meat.
I didn’t serve any sides with it when I made it. However, I think garlic bread or Caesar salad would work. Wear your yoga pants because it’s a big meal!
My family devoured their bowls which made me feel great! I love when people enjoy my recipes. I hope you try it and you enjoy it too!
Do you think your family would enjoy this Meatzza Casserole?