Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps #ChickenDotCA
February is Heart Health month. It fits in well with the romance of Valentine’s day as well as healthy eating resolutions people are continuing on from the new year. The topic is close to my heart (pardon the pun) as John recently had tests on his heart and was told to eat better. We are working on it! Thankfully, you can still enjoy heart healthy recipes without sacrificing taste.
One person dies in Canada of heart disease or stroke every seven minutes and are the leading causes of death for Canadians. It’s no laughing matter. It’s important to think about your heart by taking control of the risk factors like high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, diabetes and weight. You can’t control your genetics, but you can control what you eat! Diet plays a key role in lessening your risk.
My favourite lean protein is chicken! That’s not a big shocker because I have a slew of chicken recipes on my site. I’m obsessed with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Not only are they healthy, tasty and versatile, but they are also one of the more affordable meats at the supermarket. I pick up chicken on every shopping trip because we eat it a few times a week in our home.
It’s not just any chicken that I buy. I want Canadian chicken. We love our Canadian chicken because we know its raised with the highest quality of care and safety standards. Plus, by supporting Canadian chicken, we are, in turn, supporting local farmers and helping the Canadian economy. It’s a win-win all around.
Look for the Raised by a Canadian Farmer logo when you’re out at your local grocery. It gives consumers the knowledge and confidence of where their chicken is coming from and the high quality standards in which it was raised. If your store doesn’t have this label, consider asking them to get it!
I used my Canadian chicken in this delicious heart-healthy recipe in honour of Heart Month. These Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are packed with flavour and make the perfect lunch!
I love using lettuce leaves as my “wrap” for an easy, low carb alternative. Boston lettuce works great!
I used about 3/4 lb of chicken breast fillets that I quickly chopped up into cubes. I debated whether or not I’d cook the veggies for my wrap. I ended up adding them into skillet after the chicken was browned so they could soak up the flavours of the sauce and soften a little. If you want to save on time, just cook the chicken in the sauce and leave the veggies raw.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Simple, yummy and guilt-free! This heart healthy lettuce wrap is loaded with chicken breasts, fresh veggies and a tangy Asian sauce.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili sauce (I used Blue Dragon’s Sweet Thai Chili Sauce)
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- sprinkle of salt
- 3/4 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets, cubed
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 head of Boston lettuce
- 3 to 4 green onions, chopped
- Whisk together sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce, ginger, garlic, lime and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour in small bowl of marinade and stir. Add in bean sprouts, red pepper and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Place clean lettuce leaves on a plate. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with green onions, for garnish.
Simple, yummy and guilt-free. This is my kinda recipe. Let’s just say there were no leftovers after lunch!
Chicken Farmers of Canada has a ton of healthy chicken recipes to keep your family happy and fed during Heart Health month. After you’ve tried mine, be sure to head over and check out a few of their recipes.
#CDNChickenLove Twitter Party
Proclaim your love for Canadian Chicken at the #CDNChicken Love Twitter party on February 11th at 9pm EST!
- Date: Thursday, February 11, 2016
- Time: 9pm EST
- Host: @ChickenFarmers, @SJConsulting_CA
- Hashtag: #CDNChickenLove
- Eligibility: Open to Canada, excludes Quebec, age 18+; See official rules
- Prizing: To Be Announced (Watch the hashtag!)
RSVP below by adding your Twitter name (ie. @simplystacienet) in the Name field and your Twitter link (ie. https://twitter.com/simplystacienet) in the URL field
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.