Presidential Chili Recipe

It’s National Chili Day at the end of February so this week the Friday Recipe Club is sharing our favourite chili recipes. Growing up my mom often made chili. Her recipe included tomatoes, onions, ground beef, mushrooms, green pepper, kidney beans and lots of chili powder. I often make it the same way, but today I wanted to share a slight variation on the recipe. This recipe is an interpretation of President Obama’s family chili recipe!

I discovered it in one of my cookbooks, Make It Fast, Cook It Slow, but changed a few things. They used ground turkey where I use ground beef. They also used fresh tomatoes and I prefer to use cans of diced tomatoes.

This recipe has a few different spices in it like turmeric and basil which I normally don’t put in chili. It also has a secret ingredient: red wine vinegar. Don’t knock it till you try it. It complements the flavours perfectly. I’m adding red wine vinegar to all my chili recipes from now on. It takes the chili to a whole new level of delicious!

Presidential Chili

• 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp red wine vinegar

Brown the ground beef on the stove top. Drain the fat and add into your slow cooker.

Add the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.

Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. Serve over rice or with a slice of bread if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

Presidential Chili

Presidential Chili

Check out these other chili recipes: No Bean Hawaiian Chili, White Chicken Chili, Classic Chili Con Carne, Crockpot Chili, Spicy Chicken Chili , Crockpot Lime Chicken Chili, Easy Chili and Jalapeno Popper Chili.

Comments

I love chili…I have not had it in a year because I got food poisoning from some chili I ate at a local restaurant… this recipe looks really good and I think I will use it and just use ground turkey or leave it meatless…

2. Debbie Welchert says

This recipe looks so wonderful and delicious. It has some spices in it that I have never used in chili nor have I used red wine vinegar in chili before. I’m going to have to make a small batch and try it out.

This chili sounds like it would be really good (except for the green peppers). One of these days, we need to make some chili and cornbread for dinner. Thanks for the recipe.

4. Karen Glatt says

I love this chili Recipe because all the ingredients are so wonderful, and it is easy to make. I bet it tastes delicious, and I am going to make it for my family! Thanks for sharing!

5. Rebecca says

This chili sounds really good and unique. Pinned it and will try it. I have to say though, that your moms chili sounds delicious too! I have never had chili with mushrooms before! Why is that? Lol! I absolutely LOVE mushrooms!! Do you have a recipe for your moms chili that you would be willing to share also, please? I really want to try that! Thanks!

6. Christina Ferguson says

I love Chili and love to try different versions of the recipe. I have never made one with red wine vinegar nor in my crock pot. I am totally going to try this one. Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

7. Clifford says

I am a man that loves his chili and yours looks really awesome, wish I had a bowl right now. Just looking at the picture makes me want to go make a big pot, thanks for sharing!!

8. Nena Sinclair says

This looks delicious and my family loves chili! I always add some pork & beans to my chili, too, it adds a lot to it!

9. Cheryl Reinhardt says

Looks like a really good recipe !!! I LOVE Chili……….. especially on a cold night, have to have cornbread with it too! Yum….

10. nicolthepickle says

This looks lovely. We’re having chili for supper tonight. I’d try the wine vinegar but I don’t have any one hand. Thanks for sharing.

11. Sally says

I love Chili of any kind! I never would have thought to add red wine vinegar but I will try it I may really like it! Thank you for sharing!