Sweet Potato Home Fries Recipe

I’d been craving sweet potato fries and was looking online for some new recipes to try. I ended up finding this recipe for Sweet Potato Home Fries on my iPhone via the Food Network Canada app. There’s a ton of recipes on there! This one has only three ingredients: bacon, sweet potatoes and green onions. It’s made entirely on the stove top and the potatoes are cooked in the bacon drippings giving it so much flavour.

Next time, I think I will cut the sweet potatoes into smaller cubes so they will cook faster. The bigger pieces took longer to cook and I was starving and didn’t want to wait that long!

Sweet Potato Home Fries

Sweet Potato Home Fries

• 6 slices of bacon, sliced into small pieces
  • 2 sweet potatoes, unpeeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced

1. Heat a saute pan over medium  high heat and add the bacon. Saute until crispy. Remove from pan.

2. Add the sweet potatoes to the same pan.  Brown them on all sides until tender (about 15 minutes or so).

3. Toss in bacon, chives and salt & pepper.

Sweet Potato Home Fries

Sweet Potato Home Fries

Comments

OMG these look so good ! I love sweet potatoes candied, baked, french fry , But I dont think I ever ate them this way. Surprised I never thought of doing it. The bacon grease I always save for when I fry potatoes any way so I sure am going to try them this way. Better get to the store.
    thanks for the yummy idea

2. Amy Brown says

I have always preferred sweet potatoes to regular white. These look super yummy, and they are so much better for you than regular fries!

3. Stephanie says

This sounds so good! I love sweet potato fries, and I’m definitely going to throw in some green onions the next time I make them.

4. Meghan says

Such beautiful pictures! I’m hungry now and I’m going to make these especially because I can also make sweet potato baby food for my other son!!

Interesting. You could make this easily after frying up a big batch of bacon. No extra cooking oil used and you end up with bacon, too!

6. celina k says

I’ve never tried sweet potato home fries, but I love sweet potato fries! I will certainly be trying this one!

7. Sue Hull says

We need smellacomputer.LOL!! I can just imagine how good that smells and tastes.Thank you for sharing the recipe. :)

I love sweet potatoes and this dish looks delicious. I have always baked the potato, never fixed in skillet. I will be trying this this weekend. Thanks for sharing recipe.

9. cheryl c. says

This is an interesting way to cook sweet potatoes. I want to try this, even though I am the only one in my family who likes sweet potatoes.

10. MADDIE K. says

Holy cow that looks great! I think I would try it with the bacon, but maybe later I would try it with some red pepper too.

11. Fee (Phyllis) Roberts says

This looks so good! I love sweet potatoes.I’ve never cooked them with bacon before. I’ll have to try this. Thanks =D

12. Mikki Cross says

I never liked sweet potatoes as a child. As an adult I never made them or ordered in a restaurant until my niece opened a neighborhood restaurant and put a huge plate of had sweet potato fries on the table. Of course I had to try at least one right ? well…they were delicious and I glommed my way through a good many of them. I still don’t make them at home because I don’t have a deep fryer, however these seem simple enough and the bacon fat is always a plus. I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks

13. Lisa Ehrman says

Those look delicious! I can almost smell them! We’ve been trying to replace more white potatoes with sweet. This will be a recipe that I plan to cook for my family. Thanks!

14. Anne says

Another use for sweet potatoes–thanks for posting this recipe! I love sweet potatoes and am always looking for new ways to cook them.