Southern-Style Green Beans Recipe

I’d been craving green beans ever since I made Green Beans Almondine. I saw a recipe for Southern-Style Green Beans in my copy of Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight! and made myself this delicious side dish on the weekend. It ended up being a main course for me since I was by myself  all weekend with my kids in Ontario at my parents for a few days and John away at his mom’s house. I didn’t mind at all eating alone…more for me!

Southern Style Green Beans

These beans were so good! The bacon and onion flavour really came out in the beans. I’ve never tried or even heard of Southern-Style Green Beans, but this is a recipe I will be making again. You can count on that!

Southern Style Green Beans

Southern-Style Green Beans

Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish
Ingredients
  • 3 slices of bacon
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1½ pounds green beans, trimmed
Instructions
  1. Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and reserve about 1 tsp of bacon grease in the pan. Add in onion and saute for another 5 minutes or until tender. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
  2. Combine broth, salt, onion and green beans in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or until beans are tender. Transfer beans to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon and serve hot.

Southern Style Green Beans

Comments

1. Pam B. says

Your beans look so good! I never thought to put Chicken Broth in them. I do put bacon in mine. I am going ti t
    this recipe. Thank you!

2. Jo-Ann Brightman says

This recipe sounds great. I have never heard of Southern Style grenen beans, but I shall be trying this recipe soon.

3. Jo Ann Moffatt says

I was never much of a green bean eater before but I have found as I get older I like more and more vegetables. I had jaw surgery when I was in my early 20′s and was wired shut for 7 weeks. All I could think of was the broccoli I was going to devour once I could eat again. The weird thing was I had never tasted broccoli before in my life. I was such a PICKY eater! Now broccoli is my favorite veggie!

4. Joan Davidson says

On these wonderful southern style green beans, besides the bacon and onion please add some new potatoes. This will make them better and really give you a full meal deal!!! For you all that isn’t from the south you can find new potatoes at your local farmers market and in some grocery stores.

5. katklaw777 says

Green beans in the crockpot…now that is a recipe right up my alley.
    I can’t wait to give this one a try…thanks!

6. Patty says

Go one step further and fry some sausage with the bacon. Add quartered new potatoes and you truly have a meal in one pot. Love this!