This dessert burrito is filled with creamy cheesecake filling and gooey caramel sauce. Air Fryer Caramel Cheesecake Chimichangas are air fried to golden crispy perfection and covered in a mixture of cinnamon sugar and graham cracker crumbs.
This dessert chimichanga is one of the best things I’ve made in my air fryer. It reminds me of a deep-fried burrito, but without the extra grease. If you are a fan of deep fried cheesecake, you need to try this decadent dessert. You won’t be disappointed.
The first time I made them I had high hopes. I’m a HUGE caramel lover and can never resist anything cheesecake. I love the crispy sweet tortilla shell. This is the best way to enjoy a tortilla for dessert!
Did I mention it’s a super easy dessert to make? It takes about 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish. The perfect way to end a meal and something for the whole family to enjoy.
Why You’ll Love These Air Fryer Cheesecake Chimichangas
- One of the most delicious air fryer desserts
- Simple to make
- Less messy and greasy than deep frying
- A sweet treat ready to eat in 30 minutes
- Easy to find ingredients that won’t break the bank
- Super decadent amazing dessert everyone loves
- Easy to customize with different flavors
This post contains affiliate links.
- Cream cheese. Make sure they are softened to room temperature before you use them in this recipe. I used regular cream cheese, but light cream cheese will also work.
- Cool Whip. Thaw out your whipped topping first before you use it. You can also make your own homemade Cool Whip.
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract. I prefer to use pure vanilla extract, but artificial vanilla extract is fine, too. You can make your own homemade vanilla extract (it’s easy!).
- 6-inch soft flour tortillas. Use flour tortillas. I don’t recommend corn tortillas for this recipe.
- Caramel sauce. Caramel sundae syrup is good or you can make your own homemade caramel sauce.
- Unsalted butter
- Cinnamon sugar. Buy the store-bought version or you can make your own homemade cinnamon sugar. It’s delicious on buttered toast!
- Graham cracker crumbs. You can buy them already as crumbs or make your own by crushing graham crackers in a plastic baggie with a rolling pin.
How to Make Caramel Cheesecake Chimichangas
- Step One. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Step Two. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the Cool Whip and set aside.
- Step Three. On a clean work surface, place a tortilla shell and spread ¼ cup of the cheesecake mixture in the center. Drizzle with the desired amount of caramel sauce.
- Step Four. Take two sides of the tortilla and fold over. Take the bottom and fold it to the top and bring it in. Then roll up the chimichanga. Repeat until all the cheesecake mixture and caramel sauce are used up.
- Step Five. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and the cinnamon sugar and set aside.
- Step Six. Brush the melted butter on all sides of the chimichangas and roll them in the graham cracker mixture.
- Step Seven. Preheat the air fryer to 360°F and spray the air fryer basket with oil spray. Arrange as many chimichangas will fit in the air fryer without them touching each other. If you have a smaller air fryer, you may need to work in batches. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Chimichangas
Variations and Substitutions
- Make a caramel apple chimichanga by adding in apple pie filling.
- Omit the caramel sauce and make strawberry cheesecake chimichangas by adding chopped fresh strawberries and/or strawberry sauce
- Use butterscotch sauce instead of caramel sauce.
- Substitute chocolate sauce or hot fudge sauce for the caramel. You could also use chocolate graham cracker crumbs instead of the graham cracker crumbs.
- Try my lemon sauce instead of the caramel for a tart sweet delight.
To store, cover chimichangas tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For best results, serve fresh and hot.
I don’t recommend freezing them.
- Whipped cream or more thawed whipped topping
- Extra caramel sauce
- Chopped pecans, peanuts or walnuts
- Your favorite ice cream (I love mine with vanilla)
What is a Chimichanga?
A chimichanga is basically a deep-fried burrito that’s typically filled with savory ingredients like rice, cheese, beans and meat. It’s popular in Tex Mex cuisine and the southwestern United States.
This recipe is a dessert chimichanga as it’s filled with sweet ingredients. I don’t think beans and meat would taste good here.
Can I Make Cheesecake Chimichangas in the Oven?
Yes, you can! If you don’t have an air fryer, make them in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chimichangas on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Air Fryer Desserts
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Twists
- Air Fryer Candied Pecans
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie Twists
- Caramel Apple Pie Crescents
- Air Fryer Oreos
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Air Fryer Caramel Cheesecake Chimichangas
- 2 packages cream cheese (8oz/250g) softened
- 1 tub Cool Whip (8oz) thawed
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 6" soft flour tortillas
- ¾ cup caramel sauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until fluffy. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the Cool Whip and set aside.
- On a clean work surface, place a tortilla shell and spread ¼ cup of the cheesecake mixture in the center. Drizzle with the desired amount of caramel sauce.
- Take two sides of the tortilla and fold over. Take the bottom and fold it to the top and bring it in. Then roll up the chimichanga. Repeat until all the cheesecake mixture and caramel sauce are used up.
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and the cinnamon sugar and set aside.
- Brush the melted butter on all sides of the chimichangas and roll them in the graham cracker mixture.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F and spray the air fryer basket with oil spray. Arrange as many chimichangas will fit in the air fryer without them touching each other. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until golden and crispy. Serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.