Strawberry Satin Pie is a beloved vintage summer pie that is worth the extra effort. Layers of toasted almonds, creamy and sweet vanilla filling and luscious strawberries enveloped in a shiny glaze make this dessert a huge hit.
Strawberry Satin Pie
In the summer months, I’m all about the fresh strawberries! I’ll use them in salads, but my very favorite spot to include them is desserts. Like this Strawberry Satin Pie, for example. If you are a strawberry lover, you need to make this pie ASAP!
It’s a little more effort to make than I’m used to doing, but, trust me, the end result is SO worth it. It takes about 5 hours to make from start to finish with all the chilling time. I like to start making mine the night before and then finishing it off the next morning. It’s ready to serve for dinner time.
There are quite a few ingredients here, but nothing too crazy.
- Baked 9″ deep dish pie shell – you could totally use a homemade pie crust if that’s your thing!
- Toasted slivered almonds – I toast mine on the stove top in a dry pan on medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir them frequently so they don’t burn.
- Fresh strawberries (Of course! It is strawberry pie…)
In the Satin Filling, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Milk (I used 2%)
- Whipped heavy cream – I used a 35% milk fat. In Canada, this is called “Whipping Cream”.
- Vanilla extract
For the final touch, the Shiny Glaze, you’ll need these ingredients.
- More fresh strawberries
How to Make
Spread the toasted almonds on the bottom of the baked pie shell. Cover with the Creamy Satin Filling. Chill for 3. hours or overnight.
Add the halved strawberries on the top of the filling, starting at the outer edge. Cover with Shiny Glaze. Refrigerate for 1 hour, at minimum.
How to make Creamy Satin Filling
Add the sugar, cornstarch and salt to a saucepan. Pour in the milk and stir. Heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
Stir some of the hot mixture into the beaten egg. You’ll need to do this so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs! Add the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook until bubbling hot.
Cool and then chill the Creamy Satin Filling in the fridge for 1 hour.
After the hour, beat with a mixer until smooth. Fold in the whipped heavy cream and vanilla.
How to make Shiny Glaze
Crush the strawberries. I used a potato masher. Add them to a saucepan with the water. Cook 2 minutes over medium low heat. Strain through a sieve/strainer so you’re left with just the liquid.
Add the sugar and cornstarch to a saucepan. Stir in the strawberry juice. Cook, over medium low, until thickened. Cool. Spoon over the strawberries in the pie.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Frozen Strawberry Fluff
- Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cream Pie
- Strawberry Mousse
Have you tried this old fashioned pie before?
- 1 9" deep dish pie shell, baked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, halved
Creamy Satin Filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Spread the toasted almonds on the bottom of the baked pie shell. Cover with the Creamy Satin Filling. Chill for 3 hours or overnight.
- Add halved strawberries on top of the filling, starting at the outer edge. Cover with Shiny Glaze. Refrigerate for at minimum, 1 hour.
Creamy Satin Filling
- Add sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt to a saucepan. Pour in milk and stir. Heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Stir some of the hot mixture into the beaten egg. Add to saucepan and cook until bubbling hot.
- Cool and then chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Fold in the whipped heavy cream and vanilla.
- Crush the strawberries. Add to a saucepan with the water. Cook 2 minutes over medium low heat. Strain through a sieve/strainer.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to saucepan. Stir in berry juice. Cook, over medium low, until thickened. Cool. Spoon over the strawberries in the pie.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 594Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 475mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 4gSugar: 44gProtein: 9g