My mom used to always make Waikiki Meatballs when I was growing up. The recipe has been around a long time and I believe was originally found in an old Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was a staple on our family’s dinner table for a few reasons. It’s easy to make and it’s just plain delicious!
Being a picker eater as a child, I’d turn my nose up to most meals mom made. I felt bad for stressing her out and making her upset with me, but some foods I just refused to eat. I’m looking at you, peas.
Waikiki Meatballs, on the other hand, was a meal I loved. I don’t know if it was the sweetness of the Pineapple sauce or what, but I devoured everything that was on my plate. It made my mom happy to see me eat because I was a tiny little thing.
I love everything about this recipe from the flavour of the meatballs to the sweetness of the sauce. It’s a dinner you can feel good about serving your family. Even my own picky eaters like it.
How to Make Waikiki Meatballs
The first thing you’ll do is make the meatballs. We are making homemade meatballs here…not the frozen store bought stuff!
Mix together the ground beef, soda cracker crumbs, onions, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Get right in there with your clean hands. Trust me, it’s way easier. Then shape about a tablespoon of the meat into a ball.
Add shortening to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs, turning often. You might need to work in batches if your pan isn’t big enough. Remove the meatballs and pour away the leftover fat.
Using the same skillet, stir together cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup (from the can of pineapple tidbits), vinegar and soy sauce. Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until the mixture begins to boil and thicken.
Then, add the cooked meatballs, pineapple tidbits and green pepper. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes and serve. It’s yummy on a bed of rice.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2/3 cup soda cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 398ml can pineapple tidbits, drained, reserve syrup
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- In a bowl, mix together ground beef, soda cracker crumbs, onions, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape a tablespoon each into rounded balls.
- Melt shortening in a skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs, working in batches if your skillet isn't big enough. Remove meatballs from skillet and pour away leftover fat.
- In the same skillet, mix together cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar and soy sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Add meatballs, pineapple tidbits and green pepper to skillet. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2.7gTrans Fat: 0.4gUnsaturated Fat: 3.8gCholesterol: 99.6mgSodium: 907.2mgCarbohydrates: 27.9gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 22.2gProtein: 27.5g