Green Bean Casserole
I could not stop eating this Green Bean Casserole! I don’t know if it was the creamy mushroom sauce, tender green beans or the caramelized onions. Or maybe it was everything combined? Anyways, it was pure magic.
Green Bean Casserole
Most Green Bean Casseroles have canned soup in them. I have nothing against canned soups and use them all the time in my recipes. However, this particular recipe is from scratch – no canned soup. Don’t worry, it’s still easy to make. I don’t like complicated recipes.
It’s a few steps to make, but the end result is so worth it. It makes a mouthwatering side dish to your holiday table. Thanksgiving will be here before we know it and it will grace our family’s dinner table. I know everyone is going to love it.
My brother-in-law always whips up the most amazing recipes for our extended family dinners. I think this recipe has the potential to top even his best creations. Watch out, Jamie!
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
The first step is to make the deliciously creamy mushroom sauce. In a medium saucepan, whisk together heavy cream, flour, butter, garlic, salt and pepper over medium-low heat. Keep whisking until it thickens up. Add in the mushrooms and simmer on for another 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the green beans for 60 seconds. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
In skillet, add the olive oil and cook the onions until they start to brown.
Now it’s time to assemble and bake! Spread the green beans in a 9×13 casserole dish. Pour the mushroom sauce on top. Spread the onions on top of the sauce. Put in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
You’ll also love this Cheesy Zucchini Bake.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a saucepan, whisk together heavy cream, flour, butter, garlic, salt and pepper over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the green beans for 60 seconds. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until they start to brown.
- To assemble, spread green beans in a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour over the mushroom sauce. Spread onions on top. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 35.3gSaturated Fat: 21.2gTrans Fat: 0.7gUnsaturated Fat: 11.8gCholesterol: 97.7mgSodium: 55.4mgCarbohydrates: 21.8gFiber: 7.1gSugar: 9.2gProtein: 6.2g