I found this recipe for Cracker Pudding in one my grandma’s old church cookbooks. It’s a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe made with milk, soda crackers, eggs, vanilla and coconut. I wasn’t sure I would like it because adding crushed soda crackers to a pudding seemed a little weird, but I’m opening to trying new things. The result was delicious – thick, creamy and perfectly sweet. It tastes a little like a coconut cream pie filling.
If you love old fashioned recipes, this pudding is one you’ll enjoy. I enjoy making vintage recipes especially ones from my grandmother. There’s just something about an old, tried-and-true recipe that fills you up with a warm, comforting feeling.
I cherish all the recipes that my grandmother left me and try to incorporate them into our meals on a regular basis.
How to Make Cracker Pudding
You must use soda crackers. I put them in a freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin. It keeps the mess all in one place instead of all over my counter.
Add all the ingredients except the vanilla extract to a pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir it until it thickens up and then remove from heat. At this point, you’ll add the vanilla extract.
I put our Cracker Pudding into individual parfait dishes to chill in the fridge.
Top with whipped cream or Cool Whip and strawberries for a pop of colour.
If you are feeling anxious and hungry, you could also eat it warm. Either chilled or warm works fine.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
Have you tried Cracker Pudding before?
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup soda crackers, crushed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cool whip, strawberries, for garnish, optional
- Add milk, sugar, soda crackers, eggs and coconut to a medium sized pot. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into serving dishes and chill in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours. Serve with Cool Whip and strawberries, if desired.
- Home Essentials 4 Piece Set Essentials Home Footed Glass Dessert Dishes Bowls, , Clear
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
- Cuisinart 619-14 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 1-Quart Saucepan with Cover
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 482 Total Fat: 14.1g Saturated Fat: 6.4g Trans Fat: 2.7g Unsaturated Fat: 4.8g Cholesterol: 75.1mg Sodium: 480.7mg Carbohydrates: 79.4g Fiber: 2.4g Sugar: 38.6g Protein: 11g