I remember my mom making this recipe for Spaghetti Bake when I was a kid. It was one of her favourite meals and now that I’ve grown out of my pickiness, I can see why. It’s perfect comfort food. If you love spaghetti dinners, you need to try this recipe!
My mom makes it with Italian sausage instead of ground beef. The sausage adds a nice spicy kick. I think what makes the recipe is the creamy cheese sauce. It goes on top of the spaghetti mixture, but under the top layer of shredded cheese. It’s rich, smooth and velvety.
I struggle with taking photos of casseroles, but I hope I captured just how good this recipe is. It’s a bit messy to eat and you may want a bib, but it’s worth it when you taste it!
Give it a try and see why it’s one of my mom’s favourite recipes to make for a comforting family dinner!
You might also like this Spaghetti Casserole.
A comforting casserole made with spicy Italian sausage, veggies and rich, creamy cheese sauce. This recipe is my mom’s fave!
- 6 mild Italian sausages, casing removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 5.5oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 oz spaghetti
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook sausage in a large pan over medium high heat until no longer pink. Stir often to crumble the sausage.
- Add onions, garlic and dried basil and stir to combine. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir to combine. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in milk and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, whisking constantly. Once mixture is thickened, stir in 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and salt.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook spaghetti for 5 minutes. Drain. Add to meat sauce and stir.
- Spread meat mixture into an 8 inch square casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden. Serve hot.