This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve been using my new Wilton Mini-Tart Pan a ton lately and this past weekend made a yummy St. Patrick’s Day dessert, Grasshopper Tarts, with it. I think I have the crust down to a science now so expect several more tart recipes in the coming weeks. Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts are perfect for tart making. I use a mason jar with a wider opening (about 3 inches) to make my circles to fit the tart pan.
The filling is melted marshmallows, whipped cream and peppermint extract. I added some green food colouring so it would look the part, too. On top is a sprinkle of crushed Oreos and a Aero Peppermint Bubble.
I was talking to an American friend about the recipe and she has never heard of Aero chocolate before. I had forgotten that it might not be in all countries! If you don’t have them where you live, just leave them off or add a piece of mint chocolate that you have available where you live. No biggie!
If you are REALLY keen on trying Aero and you live in the USA, I found some on Amazon. Looks like they are shipped from England where the brand originated. Canadians, I found them in the chocolate aisle at the grocery store!
Serve these minty desserts at a St. Patrick’s Day party to celebrate the occasion or just because. It’s always a good time for a delicious dessert!
Have you made Grasshopper Tarts (or pie) before?
- 1 - 9 inch refrigerated pie dough
- 30 large marshmallows
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops green food colouring
- 1 tsp chocolate cookie crumbs
- Aero Peppermint Bubbles, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 450F. Roll out your pie dough and cut into 12 3-inch circles. I used a mason jar with a wide top to do mine. You will need to reroll the dough scraps as near the end to get the 12 circles.
- Press dough circles into a mini tart pan. Poke each tart with a fork.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Note: these bake very fast and burn quickly!
- Remove tart shells from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Melt marshmallows and 1/4 cup whipping cream in a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract.
- Transfer marshmallow mixture to a metal bowl and place in the fridge while you make the rest of the recipe.
- Add 1 cup whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Beat on high until soft peaks form. Add in food colouring and blend together.
- Stir in marshmallow mixture to whipped cream mixture until combined. Fill each tart shell with a spoonful of the mixture. Sprinkle on chocolate cookie crumbs and top with an Aero Peppermint Bubble, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g