Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. the opinions on this blog are my own.
One of the very first chicken recipes I learned to make was Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce. My mom’s good friend, Kathy, invited me over to her house for an impromptu cooking lesson. I was a young teen with little kitchen know-how and Kathy was an amazing cook. I had so much fun over at her place trying new recipes and sharing a lot of laughs. It ended up being something we did regularly until I graduated high school and went off to university.
What I like about Kathy’s recipe for Chicken Satay is that is extremely easy to make. It’s basically just skewering some chicken, marinating, broiling and voila!
A delicious, mouthwatering appetizer is ready to serve. The peanut sauce isn’t too spicy so even my kids will dip their chicken satay in it.
With the holidays coming up, this Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce will be served at least a few times over the coming weeks.
This is the time of year that I’m on the hunt for finger foods! Some nights we will just eat a variety of appetizers for supper. The kids love to sample at least one of everything. It also gives me a chance to test out the recipes beforehand. I’ll be making these Mexican Meatballs again for sure. I love their spicy kick!
Speaking of recipes, you can find even more inspiration via the Chicken Farmers of Canada new shopping app. It features over 700 delicious recipes and healthy meal ideas. Use it to help get yourself organized and shop smart with lists. Download for FREE on iTunes or Google Play.
The key features include:
- List sharing with real-time syncing
- Chicken.ca recipes including nutritional information, tips, tricks and more
- Add any ingredient from chicken.ca recipes to your list
- Database of over 350 common grocery items
- Ability to categorize your own custom items
What are your favourite appetizers to serve to your holiday guests?
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
So addicting! This appetizer never lasts long at a party.
- 12 to 16 bamboo skewers
- 1 can (400 ml) unsweetened coconut milk (approx 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (400 ml) unsweeteened coconut milk (approx 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, ground OR 1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- To make the chicken satay:
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir together coconut milk, parsley, curry powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Slice chicken across the grain into 3 inch long strips about 1/4 to 3/4 inch thick. Thread strips accordion-style on skewers. Add skewers to marinade, turning to coat over chicken. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Place chicken skewers on a baking sheet lined with foil and broil three to four inches from heat for 5 minutes. Turn and broil for 5 minutes. Keep turning every 5 minutes until chicken is cooked (use a meat thermometer to check).
To make peanut sauce:
- Combine coconut milk, curry paste, sugar, soy sauce and peanut butter in a small sauce pan on the stove. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir again right before serving.