I normally top my hotdogs with the same ol’ thing every time: ketchup and mustard. We eat a lot of hotdogs during the summer months and I was getting a bit bored with them. I decided to change up the toppings just a little and see what else would taste good on a hotdog. Surprisingly, there is a whole other world out there beyond the traditional condiments!
The recipe I made today is a Pizza Hotdog! It’s also really easy to make. Just take a cooked hotdog place it in a buttered bun and top with pizza sauce, cheese and your favourite pizza toppings. I found these mini pepperoni and thought they would be perfect on a hot dog. They fit the bun better than a regular pepperoni slice would.
These Pizza Hotdogs were a hit! My kids love them and they are also very filling- much more so than a regular hot dog is. What are your favourite hotdog toppings?
- 4 hotdogs, cooked
- 4 hotdog buns, cut on one side to open up
- 1 can (213 ml) pizza sauce
- ¼ cup mini pepperoni
- ¼ cup garlic butter, softened
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Spread garlic butter on both sides of the inside of the hotdog buns.
- Place a hot dog in each bun and top with a few tbsp of pizza sauce.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Place in a 375°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bun is toasted.
Happy Hotdog Month!