Pecan Butter Tarts Recipe

Butter tarts are Canada’s best dessert in my opinion. I used to say that I had a butter tart addiction because I could never turn them away. John and I often buy them from a vendor at our local farmer’s market. The homemade ones are so much better than the store bought version.People would line up before it even opened to buy them. They were just that good! She always sold out and had to turn disappointed customers away.

I’m not about to set up shop at the farmer’s market, but I did find this easy recipe to make them myself in The Pampered Chef Favourites Cookbook. If you don’t like pecans, you could use raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips or just leave them plain. I also used premade tarts to save on time and I’m not much of a baker. If you enjoy making your own crust, then try them that way.

Bet you can’t stop at just one!

Pecan Butter Tarts

Pecan Butter Tarts

• Package of 18 mini tart shells (or make your own with your favourite recipe)
  • 2 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup pecans, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Mix melted, butter, brown sugar, egg and pecans in a mixing bowl.

3. Fill each tart shell with nut filling.

4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown.

5. Cool in pan for 3 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack. Cool completely.

Makes 18 tarts.

Pecan Butter Tarts

Pecan Butter Tarts

Comments

1. Anne Taylor says

My mom would only make butter tarts at Christmas time and I always looked forward to them! I love a warm butter tart with some freshly whipped cream dolloped on top! Thanks!

2. Anne Taylor says

3. Anne Taylor says

My mom used to make them all of the time at Christmas! Nothing better than a warm butter tart with some freshly whipped cream dolloped on top!

4. Amy N. says

These look so easy! We LOVE pecan pie around our house but it’s always so messy to make, I think I’ll try these instead.

5. Chandra Christine O'Connor says

I made my butter tarts for christmas last year and as I was cleaning up I noticed in microwave a bowl. in the bowl was melted butter I forgot to add butter to my butter tarts lol

6. Candi says

I will be trying these for sure! I live in a house full of butter tart lovers, lol! Have you tried a recipe with vanilla & vinegar in them? It has always been my fave, but I’m always willing & ready to try new recipes. Thanks for posting :)