Mom’s Macaroni is a comforting stove top casserole made with tender macaroni noodles, ground beef, tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese. It’s like a hug from mom, but in a bowl!
My sister was raving about this recipe for Mom’s Macaroni that she got from her mother-in-law. It’s been a family favorite in her home for years and she told me I had to try it out.
I did and it was agreed with her. It was delicious!
My mom had a similar recipe that was made with canned tomatoes, ground beef and macaroni. This recipe is close to that, but with a little more oomph to it. I think I like Mom’s Macaroni from my sister better. Sorry, Mom!
It’s pretty straightforward to make although it does dirty more dishes than I’d like. The extra mess is worth it though, promise!
Everyone in my home who tried this recipe loved it. I called my sister right away and thanked her. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all did.
In 30 minutes, you will have a delicious meal! Serve it with a side salad or enjoy on its own.
How to Make Mom’s Macaroni
The first step is to make the ground beef mixture. Add the onions, green pepper, mushrooms, Worscestershire sauce and ground beef to a large frying pan. Sauté over medium heat until beef is cooked and veggies are tender.
Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain with a colander and set aside.
Heat up the stewed tomatoes in a small pot over medium low heat. Add in the basil, oregano and parsley. Stir to combine.
Add the Cheez Whiz and milk to the macaroni and stir to combine. Stir in beef mixture. Add in hot tomatoes to mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These tools will help you make the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
You might also like these macaroni recipes.
Salsa Macaroni & Cheese – Creamy, cheesy with a bit of a kick! This recipe will easily become a family favourite.
Chili Macaroni – Simple to make and so delicious to eat! This hearty comfort food will become a new family fave.
Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese – Creamy, cheesy and absolutely delicious! If you haven’t added pumpkin to your mac and cheese, you are missing out.
Easy Macaroni & Cheese – So good you’ll never want the boxed stuff again!
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp Worscestershire sauce
- 1 540ml can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Cheez Whiz
- 2 1/4 cup macaroni
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add onions, green pepper, mushrooms, Worscestershire sauce and ground beef to a large frying pan. Saute over medium heat until beef is cooked.
- Boil macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat up stewed tomatoes in a small pot over medium low heat. Add basil, oregano and parsley and stir to combine.
- Add Cheez Whiz and milk to macaroni and stir together. Stir in beef mixture. Add hot tomatoes to mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
- ZYLISS Lock N' Lift Can Opener with Lid Lifter Magnet, White
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
- Cook N Home 02418 Stainless Steel Lid 5-Quart Stockpot, 5-Qt, Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 421 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 828mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 31g