Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
I don’t think you can get any more “comfort food-y” than this recipe for Smothered Chicken. Even the name implies a cozy, comforting recipe. It hits the spot after a long day of work!
I used chicken drumsticks, but you could easily substitute another cut of chicken like chicken thighs or breasts. The sauce is so creamy and flavourful. It’s made with cream of chicken soup AND sour cream to give it even more richness. For veggies, I added onions, mushrooms and green peppers.
I browned the chicken drumsticks first to give them a crispier skin and a golden colour. If you wanted to omit that step, you can. I like the extra flavour frying adds, though.
The recipe takes an hour to bake in the oven and you won’t believe how yummy it smells. Let’s just say everyone was asking me when dinner would be ready.
Serve with some rice or mashed potatoes. There is LOTS of extra sauce to soak up and enjoy!
My daughter, Bridget, loves chicken drumsticks and I think she ate the most out of all of us. The chicken was so tender after baking in its luxurious sauce. I added some green onions to garnish to liven it up and add a little extra fresh crunch.
I’ve been searching for more comfort food recipes to make this time of year. The Chicken Farmers of Canada is a great resource. I know that you’ll love all their chicken recipes and I encourage you to check them out and pin your faves!
We love Canadian chicken in our home and I always look for the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” logo when I’m out grocery shopping. Knowing that the chicken I buy is Canadian is important to me because of their high quality standards in food safety and animal care. Not all stores in my area have the logo yet, but more are coming on board and that is great to see.
I’d love to hear about what comfort food recipes you are cooking up this November!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 11 chicken drumsticks
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry chicken 5 to 8 minutes per side. Lay chicken in a 9×13 pan. Top with green pepper, mushrooms and onions.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together cream of chicken soup, sour cream, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary and cumin. Pour evenly over chicken and vegetables.
- Bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle green onions on top. Serve hot.
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
- Cuisinart 622-30G Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 475 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 239mg Sodium: 922mg Carbohydrates: 11g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 44g