Baked Brown Sugar Glazed Donuts
Donuts are one of my all-time favourite indulgences. There are so many different flavours and toppings. You can make them exactly to your liking. I love making homemade donuts, and I prefer baking them to frying them. I am not a fan of them fried, but it’s just preference I think.
I was always told people eat with their eyes first. So, I’ve always wanted to make my donuts look as great as they taste! Toppings add not only a fun crunch but made the donuts look beautiful.
For this Brown Sugar Glazed donuts recipe, these donuts are baked.
I made these donuts and took them to a potluck we had been invited to, and they were gone within minutes. Not only were they a huge hit with the crowd but they are easy to make. The brown sugar glaze is a little thicker, which makes a great addition to the donut especially with toppings such as granola or nuts! You can alter the glaze to make it a little thinner if you’d like, but having it a little thicker is nice as it adds just the right amount of sweetness to the donut.
When baking donuts I tend to let them sit in the donut pan for about 5 minutes after coming out of the oven, then I transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before dipping them into the glaze. I find if you try to take them out of the pan too quickly they can break, but they don’t stick!
Because these donuts are topped with a brown sugar glaze, I wouldn’t add toppings that are too sweet. I would stick to nuts or granola; they give a great crunch and some added flavour. Topping with sprinkles wouldn’t work, but a fruit such as strawberry or raspberry may add a little extra kick that would be delicious, especially if the fruit were to be dried!
These are my favourite donuts to make because they are easy and you can get as creative as you want with the toppings, and your glaze thickness, as I mentioned. Making a couple of batches and trying a few different toppings would be great to see what flavour combinations work best for you and your sweet tooth!
Find more of my recipes at Six Time Mommy!
Have you ever made baked donuts before? What are your favourite toppings?
Baked Brown Sugar Glazed Donuts
They taste as great as they look! Mix and match different toppings depending on your preference.
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 1/3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- Favourite toppings: almonds, granola
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat your oven to 425F degrees. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add in butter, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla, mix until just combined.
- Put the batter in a plastic baggie, or large piping bag (I just used a spoon!) and fill the donut pan – each donut half full.
- Bake 7 minutes, and remove from oven. Let sit for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
- Dip donut tops into the glaze) and immediately sprinkle the topping of your choice. We used almonds and granola.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat, add in brown sugar.
- Stirring constantly for 2 minutes, add in milk.
- Add milk and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, salt and confectioners sugar.
- Dip donuts immediately so it doesn’t harden.