Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
This Mexican Tater Tot Casserole was a hit with my family! It was spicy, hearty and tasty. Comfort food for the win.
I originally intended to make a hashbrown casserole, but that did not pan out. Do you know how hard it is to find shredded hashbrowns in Canada? To me, it feels impossible!
I checked every single store in my area and came up empty. They only had the diced hashbrowns. Then I saw the Tater Tots and a new idea was born. Scrap the hashbrown casserole idea and hello Tater Tot casserole. It was a huge hit!
Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
I’m sure you’ve seen Tater Tot casseroles before and probably have even made them yourself. This was my first attempt. I decided to give mine a Mexican flair using taco seasoning, peppers and queso. Hello Mexican Tater Tot Casserole!
The bottom layer is a mixture of spicy ground beef, peppers and onions. It tastes like you would expect – the filling for a taco. Then I topped it with an entire jar of queso.
Queso is basically melted cheese sauce with chiles. Look for it in the chip aisle with the tortilla chips and salsa. The one I used was Tostitos brand.
Frozen Tater Tots covered the top of the casserole dish. Don’t worry, they will thaw and cook in the oven. During the last five minutes of baking, I added shredded cheese. If you had this at the beginning, it will burn. You only want it to melt on the top.
It’s a little spicy, hearty and a yummy comfort food to fill your belly. John told me it’s one of his favourite meals I’ve made. I’ll be adding this recipe to our meal plan regularly! I may try other combinations to experiment a little. If I find any good ones, I’ll share the recipe, pinky promise.
How to Make Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
This post contains affiliate links.
To start, you’ll want to cook the ground beef, onions and peppers. Add them to a large skillet over medium heat to cook for about 7 to 8 minutes.
I like to use a Meat chopper to break up the ground beef. It makes the job effortless.
Once you’ve got the ground beef and veggies cooked, stir in the taco seasoning. I used a whole packet.
Time to assemble the casserole! Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the ground beef mixture on the bottom. Top with Queso and then cover with frozen Tater Tots.
Bake the casserole for 40 minutes at 400F. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Can You Freeze Mexican Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze Mexican Tater Tot Casserole. Just make sure it’s covered and eaten within 3 months. No one likes freezer burn!
Tater Tot Casserole Recipes
We love Tater Tot Casseroles! In fact, I have a couple different varieties shared here in my recipe box.
- Tater Tot Casserole: A classic comfort food casserole your family will love! It has a layer of ground beef mixed with a creamy veggie sauce and topped with crispy Tater Tots and melted cheddar cheese.
- Lasagna Tater Tot Casserole: Easy, delicious comfort food! This casserole is one of my family’s favourite weeknight meals.
- Pizza Tater Tot Casserole: This comforting casserole has three layers of goodness. Use your favourite pizza toppings to create the perfect family meal.
- More Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: A list of 20 mouthwatering recipes to enjoy.
Do you make Tater Tot casserole?
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 orange pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 package Taco Seasoning
- 1 jar queso (394 ml)
- 3/4 of a 1 kg package of frozen Tater Tots
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and ground beef. Cook until beef is no longer pink and onions and peppers are softened, about 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the beef mixture on the bottom evenly. Pour queso on top and spread to cover beef mixture. Cover with Tater Tots. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
- Cuisinart 622-30G Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover
- HIC Oblong Rectangular Baking Dish Roasting Lasagna Pan, Fine White Porcelain, 13-Inches x 9-Inches x 2.5-Inches
- Cuisinart C77SS-15PK 15-Piece Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Block Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 244 Total Fat: 10.8g Saturated Fat: 4.8g Trans Fat: 0.2g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 52.3mg Sodium: 761.5mg Carbohydrates: 18.1g Fiber: 2.4g Sugar: 3.2g Protein: 18.4g