Italian Sausage & Vegetable Stew Recipe

This week we had our first frost warning in a long time. I’m sad to think about, but summer is drawing to a close. Soon we’ll have to turn on our heat and wear our fall jackets. I’m sad it’s over, but on the bright side, the cooler weather means I’ll be using my slow cooker a lot more often! I love throwing ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and have the delicious aromas permeate the house all day long. Then, when it’s time to eat, I can sit down and enjoy a hearty meal that took almost no effort to make.

I adapted this recipe for Italian Sausage & Vegetable Stew from one of my cookbooks that I’ve owned for years, All New Slow Cooker by Easy Home Cooking. It is full of veggies and the Italian sausage adds in a hint of spiciness. If you prefer your food extra spicy, substitute the mild Italian sausage with hot Italian sausage. For the frozen vegetables, you can use whatever you have on hand. I had a bag of Mediterranean vegetables in my freezer that I used up. The fresh zucchini is really tender and flavourful after roasting in the juices. There’s no extra liquid added. It’s really not needed since the frozen veggies will melt and the juices of the tomatoes and zucchini make it the perfect consistency.

Italian Sausage & Vegetable Stew

Italian Sausage and Vegetable Stew

• 6 mild Italian sausages, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 package frozen Mediterranean vegetables
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes with Italian spices, undrained
  • 2 zucchini, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small can of tomato paste

1. Cook sausage in a skillet on medium-high until browned.

2. Combine sausage, frozen vegetables, tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini and garlic in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until zucchini is cooked and tender.

Makes 6 servings.

Italian Sausage & Vegetable Stew

Comments

1. shaunie says

Wow … this looks amazing. great for the fall and winter seasons. I like this because it looks easy to make and to change it up I could add beef or turkey.

2. Wendy Owen says

That looks so delicious! I love fall weather because it’s the perfect time for Stews and baking and wonderful smells from the kitchen. I am for sure going to try this recipe out.

3. M.Clark says

Looks delicious! I would have to substitute something else in place of the Italian sausage, I don’t eat beef or pork. I’m sure I could find a fitting substitute.

4. Sarah L says

Yum! Don’t know if we’ll get cooler weather before zucchini season is over. We tied the record of 97 degrees today.

5. scott macmillan says

I just purchased a slow cooker and was becoming tired of roasts,stews and soups.This looks like a delicious option.Thanks.

Mmmm….this looks like a good hardy fall stew. Easy to make using my garden vegetables too,.
    I will have to keep this recipe and pin it. thanks so much for sharing.

7. Nena Sinclair says

This looks so delicious and a great combo of flavors! I pinned this recipe, I’ll be making it myself very soon! Thanks for sharing!

8. Gail Williams says

Our weather was hot recently but it definitely is cooling way down at night here in MN. I pinned this recipe because it looked so good and easy to make. I also eat paleo and this fits right in with that way of eating.

9. Stacy Scott says

This Looks and Sounds amazing! I am going to love trying this for my family =) I am excited that fall is near =) No More Hamburgers and Hotdogs lol =) Thank you so much for posting! =)

10. Jo Ann Moffatt says

This is a very simple recipe but I bet it tastes great! I am definitely going to try this soonn. Thank you for posting this!

11. Susan T. says

I like all the vegetables included in this recipe. It makes me not feel so guilty for eating sausage!