Banana Cake is an easy and satisfying moist banana cake that is topped with a cream cheese frosting. If you are craving banana, try my cake, you will thank me later.
The more brown a banana, the sweeter they get! Don’t throw away those brown bananas. Save them and make this delicious Banana Cake!
I admit, I used to throw the brown bananas in the compost. They just looked so icky to me and I couldn’t imagine peeling the skin and eating one. Blech. However, little did I realize just how many uses for brown bananas there are. They are so sweet, yummy and perfect to use in your baking.
In fact, I buy bananas and let them sit on the counter till they get that deep yellow colour and flecks of brown. My mom throws brown bananas in the freezer to use. I would too if I had a deep freezer.
How to Ripen Bananas Fast
If you want to ripen bananas fast you can use the oven. Just lay out your bananas on a baking sheet and put bananas in the oven at 300 degrees.
You will bake the bananas for 15 minutes and check them. The skins will turn black, and that is what you want. Once all the skins are black on bananas you will remove the bananas from the oven and allow them to cool down.
Then peel and use as you would. Baking in the oven speeds up the process of ripening and you will have a rich and smashable banana in 15-30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosted Banana Cake
This Banana Cake is sweet, dense and packed full of flavour. The cream cheese icing is the perfect complement.
It reminds me a little of a Banana Bread, but in cake form. It’s also super easy to make. Serve for a sweet breakfast with your morning coffee or as a dessert to a nice meal.
Looking for More Ways to Use up Brown Bananas
For more ways to use brown bananas, check out my recipes for Banana Cupcakes, Banana Streusel Muffins, Banana Split Brownies, Banana Bread Breakfast Casserole and Banana Cake with Toffee Frosting. You might also like this Earthquake Cake or coffee cake.
You can never say no to a goode dessert? Am I right? Those are some of my favorite recipes I think you all might enjoy.
How to Store Cream Cheese Banana Cake
If you want to store your cake, it will need to be refrigerated. The reason being is the cream cheese frosting will go bad if it is left out on the counter.
Just place in an airtight container with a lid or take your cake pan and cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Either method works, you just want it covered to prevent odors from getting into the cake.
How to Freeze Leftover Cake
Another option for you is to freeze leftover cake. Now, you can slice it up and freeze each piece so you can pull one piece out when you get to craving. Other method is freeze the cake whole, and then allow it to fully thaw before you slice.
You need to wrap 2 times in aluminum foil or use a freezer friendly container. Make sure that it is wrapped good to prevent it from getting freezer burned. Then you can store for 2-3 months in the fridge.
When you are ready to eat a slice remove from freezer and allow to thaw on counter for a quick dessert, or place in the freezer the night before you plan to eat it. That way it can thaw slowly.
Variations to Banana Cake Recipe
- Toss in some chocolate chips, white chips, peanut butter, etc. This will add a bit of flavor to your cake. I would do around 1 cup, and fold into the batter before pouring into the pan.
- Pecans or walnuts would also be great to fold in to the banana batter. I would do around 3/4 cup of nuts. Or you can sprinkle nuts on top of the frosted cake as well for dressing it up and adding texture and flavor.
- Feel free to add in other fruit like blueberries if you want something with a bit more dimension. I personally enjoy plain banana, but you can mix in other fruit if you have some you want to use up.
Make sure to take the time and use ripe bananas for this banana dessert. If you don’t have over-ripe then ripen in the oven. It truly transforms the flavor of your recipe.
This cake is great for holiday gatherings, birthday parties, weeknight dessert, and so much more. I will admit I have even ate this cake for breakfast. I mean banana is a fruit, so it is good, right?
What is your favourite way to use brown bananas?
You’ll also like Pineapple Cake.
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 package package cream cheese 8oz/250g, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until combined. Add eggs, bananas and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly from the centre. Cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Gradually add in icing sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.