Sauerkraut Salad is tangy and sweet! This delicious salad recipe has crisp veggies, sauerkraut tossed in a sweet dressing. Delish!
Sauerkraut…love it or hate it! I’m on team love. I have been known to eat it right out of the jar. I also love putting it on my hotdogs in the summer. Yum yum.
I have a friend who makes her own sauerkraut and tells me how delicious it is. It’s basically finely shredded cabbage mixed with lactic acid bacteria. I might have to try it someday.
Sauerkraut Salad is delicious anytime of year. Serve it at your summer barbecues or as a delicious side dish with your dinner. Maybe have a German night?
My grandmother is German heritage and I remember eating sauerkraut with dinner at her place when I was growing up. She said she knew German when she was a little girl, but lost it as she got older.
I took three years of German in high school, but I wouldn’t consider myself fluent in the language. I remember bits and pieces of it. It would have been cool to continue on with it in university, but life had other plans for me.
How to Make Sauerkraut Salad
I used a 1L jar of sauerkraut. I drained the liquid from the jar before putting the sauerkraut in the bowl.
The first step is to assemble the salad ingredients in a large bowl: sauerkraut, green pepper, onion, celery and pimento.
To make the dressing, whisk together vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Cover the salad and chill in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
This quick salad is always a hit whenever I serve it. The sweetness of the dressing tones down the tangy flavors. It’s the perfect marriage of opposites.
Want more salad recipe ideas? I got ya.
- Bean Salad: Packed full of yummy fibre. This easy salad recipe is loaded with beans and a flavorful dressing.
- Beet Salad: Creamy with a kick! This easy side dish recipe pairs well with steak.
- Waldorf Salad: The famous salad from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel! It’s loaded with fruit and nuts in a creamy, tangy dressing.
- Cucumber Salad: Fresh, easy and so delicious! Each bite of this summer side dish is bursting with flavor of cucumbers, onions and a yummy vinegar dressing.
- Best Broccoli Salad: Full of fresh, vibrant broccoli, raisins, sliced almonds, mushrooms and sweet mandarin oranges topped with a sweet, creamy dressing. This broccoli salad recipe is both hearty and filling!
Have you tried Sauerkraut Salad?
- 1 (1L) jar sauerkraut
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp pimento
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine sauerkraut, green pepper, onion, celery and pimento.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt. Pour over salad and stir to combine.
- Chill for 2 hours in the fridge before serving.
When you remove the sauerkraut from the jar, drain the liquid off with a slotted spoon.
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 444mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 21g Protein: 1g