Sauerkraut Salad is tangy and sweet! This delicious salad recipe has crisp veggies, sauerkraut tossed in a sweet dressing. Delish!
Sauerkraut…love it or hate it! I’m on team love. I have been known to eat it right out of the jar. I also love putting it on my hotdogs in the summer. Yum yum.
I have a friend who makes her own sauerkraut and tells me how delicious it is. It’s basically finely shredded cabbage mixed with lactic acid bacteria. I might have to try it someday.
Sauerkraut Salad is delicious anytime of year. Serve it at your summer barbecues or as a delicious side dish with your dinner. Maybe have a German night?
My grandmother is German heritage and I remember eating sauerkraut with dinner at her place when I was growing up. She said she knew German when she was a little girl, but lost it as she got older.
I took three years of German in high school, but I wouldn’t consider myself fluent in the language. I remember bits and pieces of it. It would have been cool to continue on with it in university, but life had other plans for me.
How to Make Sauerkraut Salad
I used a 1L jar of sauerkraut. I drained the liquid from the jar before putting the sauerkraut in the bowl.
The first step is to assemble the salad ingredients in a large bowl: sauerkraut, green pepper, onion, celery and pimento.
To make the dressing, whisk together vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Cover the salad and chill in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
This quick salad is always a hit whenever I serve it. The sweetness of the dressing tones down the tangy flavors. It’s the perfect marriage of opposites.
Want more salad recipe ideas? I got ya.
- Bean Salad: Packed full of yummy fibre. This easy salad recipe is loaded with beans and a flavorful dressing.
- Beet Salad: Creamy with a kick! This easy side dish recipe pairs well with steak.
- Waldorf Salad: The famous salad from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel! It’s loaded with fruit and nuts in a creamy, tangy dressing.
- Cucumber Salad: Fresh, easy and so delicious! Each bite of this summer side dish is bursting with flavor of cucumbers, onions and a yummy vinegar dressing.
- Best Broccoli Salad: Full of fresh, vibrant broccoli, raisins, sliced almonds, mushrooms and sweet mandarin oranges topped with a sweet, creamy dressing. This broccoli salad recipe is both hearty and filling!
You should also try this German Potato Soup.
Have you tried Sauerkraut Salad?
When you remove the sauerkraut from the jar, drain the liquid off with a slotted spoon. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information: Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g
When you remove the sauerkraut from the jar, drain the liquid off with a slotted spoon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.