Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies are a dessert lover’s dream. Marshmallow fluff swirled with peanut butter sandwiched between two soft chocolate cookies. These are a family favorite!
I am a huge fan of anything and everything sweet. All desserts are welcome in my house except maybe for black licorice. That is just one I can’t seem to enjoy. The combination of chocolate, peanut butter AND marshmallow, however, is one of my absolute favorites.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
This recipe came about when my daughter and I were making cookies one day. We spent the morning spending time together and baking some chocolate cookies. Next thing I know my daughter got out the jar of marshmallow fluff and smeared it over top of one of the cookies. Light bulb! Growing up my mom would pack me Fluffanutter sandwiches in my lunchbox. So why not instead of bread, use chocolate cookies?!
Whoopie pies are a cake-like treat with a creamy filling. For these, I chose to make chocolate cookies that have a cake-like consistency and added in a few mini chocolate chips. Perfect for the pies.
To make, beat together shortening, brown sugar, vanilla and one egg with a mixer. Add in milk and then a combination of flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and a little salt. With a spatula, stir in mini chocolate chips and then spoon a mound of batter onto a prepared baking sheet. I then take the back of a spoon and circle it around the batter to help it spread out and make the cookies uniform in shape. Make sure to space out the cookies 1-2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
While the cookies are baking, swirl together a jar of marshmallow fluff and peanut butter. You may also use sun butter if you have a nut allergy in your house. Once the cookies have cooled take an off-set spatula or knife and spread the mixture on the bottom of a cookie. Top off with another cookie to make a whoopie pie. Hope you enjoy this tasty treat!
Do you like the chocolate and peanut butter combination?
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 7oz jar Marshmallow Cream of Fluff
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a mixer, cream together shortening, brown sugar, vanilla and egg.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add in half of dry ingredients and then half of milk. Then add the rest of dry ingredients and remaining milk.
- Mix until combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop batter into mounds on the baking sheet.
- Leave 1-2 inches between each cookie.
- Spread the batter out using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes and allow them to cool on the baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together marshmallow fluff and peanut butter until marbled.
- To assemble the whoopie pie, spread some of the filling on the flat side of a cookie. Top with another cookie. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 673Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 557mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 4gSugar: 45gProtein: 14g