Butter Chicken Hand Pies
I look forward to my Cultured Kitchen challenges each month. I had an inkling that February’s challenge would be related to Valentine’s day and I was right! My task was to create a recipe that signifies love – while mixing in a little India, of course.
Within 10 seconds, I pictured in my mind the recipe I wanted to make – heart shaped hand pies. My next decision was to figure out what to stuff inside them. My family adores Patak’s Butter Chicken Cooking Sauce and with that choice, these Butter Chicken Hand Pies were born. I guess I could have called them Butter Chicken Heart Pies since they are heart shaped. Really, you could make these any time during the year with whatever shape you like. Hearts are perfect for the month of love though!
Aren’t they cute? I never thought I’d say that food looks cute, but I think this recipe is an exception. I was happy with the turnout.
Plus, this recipe is a time saver. For the filling, you’ll need a jar of Patak’s Butter Chicken Cooking Sauce, diced chicken breasts and fresh cilantro. You’ll have leftover Butter Chicken so you can save it for another meal or serve it on the side if you like. I ended up eating a bowl while I was waiting for these guys to bake in the oven.
And let’s talk about the crust. I used a time saving hack – refrigerated pie crust dough. If you have a pie crust dough recipe you love, go ahead and use that. I like quick and easy so I grabbed a box from my fridge and saved myself a bunch of extra work (and mess!). I also added an egg wash to the outside to give it a golden sheen.
The crust takes only 10 minutes to bake and then you can get dinner on the table. Serve them with some salad, veggies or rice. Your family will fall in love with these hearts. Mine did! I had requests for more so I guess I’ll be heading back to the grocery store for more pie crust soon. They are fun and delicious way to celebrate Valentine’s day.
Subscribe to the Cultured Kitchen monthly newsletter and receive digital cookbooks from Patak’s Canada and Blue Dragon Canada.
Do you have a favourite Valentine’s day recipe?
Butter Chicken Hand Pies
Mix in a little India this Valentine’s day with these tasty Butter Chicken Hand Pies. Creamy, flavourful Butter Chicken is stuffed inside a golden, flaky heart shaped crust!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced small
- 1 jar Patak’s Butter Chicken Cooking Sauce (400 ml)
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crust dough (enough for two pies)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in chicken and brown (about 5 to 6 minutes). Once chicken is cooked, stir in Patak’s Butter Chicken Cooking Sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh cilantro and continue simmering for another five minutes. Set mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Unroll pie crust dough and using a heart shaped cookie cutter, make as many heart shapes as you can with the dough. I was able to make 5 hearts with a medium sized cookie cutter.
- Lay half of the hearts on the baking sheet. In the centre of each heart, add about a teaspoonful of butter chicken mixture. Place the hearts leftover on top to cover. Using the tines of a fork, press down the edges to seal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water. Using a pastry brush, brush egg mixture on the tops of the hearts. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
You will have extra Butter Chicken leftover from this recipe so you can either make more hand pies with it or save it for another meal.
Disclosure: I am part of The Cultured Kitchen Ambassador program in partnership with Patak’s Canada and Blue Dragon Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.