I was cleaning out my kitchen drawers recently and found a whole whack of cookie cutters. Among the pile was heart shaped cookie cutters I bought a few years ago and never used. Oops. I set it on top of the microwave so I would remember to use them this year in time for Valentine’s day. Inspiration hit me when I was driving my daughter to work. I always get ideas at the worst possible times!
My idea was to make heart shaped crescent rolls of with a filling. My youngest is obsessed with Nutella and we have a few jars hanging out in the pantry. I knew this recipe would be the perfect way to use them.
These Nutella Hearts are so easy to make. Even a kid could help make them.
I love Pillsbury crescent rolls because half the job is done for you. Use their dough and save a ton of time and energy. I’ve always had great results any time I use their products.
Using clean hands and fingers, press the dough together. I pops out in crescent rolls shapes so you’ll want to make it all one big sheet so you can use your cookie cutter on it.
I used about 1/2 tsp of Nutella in the middle of each heart. I didn’t want to pack it too full or I wouldn’t be able to close my hearts and risk them popping open. Though I can’t see how overflowing chocolate could ever be a bad thing…
I was happy to see they kept their heart shape after baking and were puffy, golden brown. Inside was melted Nutella. Mmmmm. I decorated the top with drizzles of milk chocolate and white chocolate chips. They remind me a little of chocolate croissants.
Do you make any special desserts for Valentine’s Day?
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 3 tsp Nutella
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Unroll crescent rolls. Press the dough together to make a sheet. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out 12 hearts.
- Place six hearts on a baking sheet. Place 1/2 tsp of Nutella in the center of each heart. Place a second heart on top of each one. Press together with your fingers to close dough around the edges.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Place milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Put in an additional 15 seconds if not completely melted. Drizzle over the Nutella Hearts. Repeat this step for the white chocolate chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g