Beef Picadillo Shepherd’s Pie
The other day I picked up a copy the October 2012 copy of Clean Eating and came across this recipe for Shepherd’s Pie that was low carb! I’ve cutback on eating many of my favourite foods to eat low carb to lose weight (55 lbs+ now!). This particular recipe uses cauliflower instead potatoes and it had all ingredients that were ok for my diet. I practically ran to the grocery store to buy the ingredients so I could give it a try.
I was interested in seeing how it would taste with the cauliflower topping. I’ve used cauliflower crust on pizza in the past and it’s so yummy. The recipe took about an hour to make because there’s a number of steps to prepare it, but it was SO worth it! If you are watching your weight or eating low carb, then try it. It’s filling and delicious with a Latin-American twist!
Beef Picadillo Shepherd's Pie
- 1 cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Cooking Spray
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1b. extra lean ground beef
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup from a can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olives with pimento, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat over to 400°F. Spread cauliflower in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Roast for 30 minutes. Cool slightly and then transfer to food processor (or blender). Add 1 cup of chicken broth and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the ground beef in a large skillet on medium high heat until the beef is browned. Transfer beef to a paper towel-lined tray.
- Add onion, garlic and peppers to the skillet still on medium high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add cumin and paprika and cooking for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add cooked beef back into skillet and stir in remaining 1 cup chicken broth, tomatoes, olives and vinegar. Cook for 6 minutes or until thickened slightly and reduced by half. Season with salt & pepper and transfer the beef mixture to an 8 or 9 inch square baking dish spreading out evenly.
- Spoon cauliflower puree over beef mixture as evenly as you can.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400°F. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 more minutes. Serve hot.