This past weekend I cooked with some new ingredients that I’ve never used before- curry powder and Equal sweetener! Yes, both were in the same dish and it turned out amazing! I made Jamaican Curried Rice from a recipe I found on the Equal Canada Facebook page. I’ve tried curry a couple times before and was curious to see how it would taste in a recipe I made myself. Plus, the recipe looked pretty easy to make and I am all about simple and quick meals!
I purchased the ingredients on a recent shopping trip to Sobey’s (and Atlantic Superstore) and set everything aside till I was ready to use them. The ingredients are red pepper, green onions, curry power, Equal Spoonful or Granulated, lime juice, can of pineapple chunks, can of black beans, salted cashews and rice.
I like to get all my prep work done ahead of time so I chopped up all my veggies and measured all my ingredients and had them set up and ready to go. I like to do this so I can clean as I go and it makes me feel more organized.
The first thing I did was heat some olive oil in a skillet and cook my diced red pepper and green onions over medium heat. After about 5 minutes of cooking, I stirred in my curry powder. The kitchen smelled amazing with the spicy aroma of curry.
In a separate bowl I combined my hot cooked rice, lime juice, Equal Spoonful and salt. Then I stirred in my veggie mixture , pineapple and black beans and watched the dish come to life. I served it hot garnished with salted cashews. I surprised myself with how good it was! John ate two bowls in one sitting and polished off the leftovers the next day.
We will definitely be making this one again and trying out some more recipes using Equal sweetener. I’m thinking the next one will be a dessert!
You can find Equal (in the yellow canister) on sale for $7.97 (compared to $9.97) in Walmart, Sobey’s and Loblaws stores across Canada.
Jamaican Curried Rice
Add a little flavour to your dinner table.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful or Granulated*
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salted cashews* May substitute 6 packets Equal sweetener
- Heat oil in medium skillet. Cook and stir bell pepper and onions 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder; stir 30 seconds.
- Combine cooked rice, Equal®, lime juice and salt in medium-size bowl. Stir in cooked vegetable mixture, pineapple and black beans. Rice may be served warm or at room temperature. Sprinkle with cashews just before serving.
*This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. Opinions expressed are my own.*