This recipe was originally supposed to be for cake pops. I had my cake pop maker all ready to go, but after one batch I decided to forgo the whole thing and turn it into cupcakes. Let’s just say the cake pops were a disaster! If I try them again, I will make them by hand. I’ll try using Mom Spark’s cake pop tutorial because it looks a lot easier than the darn cake pop maker.
Anyway! I made cupcakes and salvaged the recipe. In fact, they turned out beautifully!
White cake mix is doctored with cherries and topped with a rich, smooth white chocolate glaze.
- 1 package of white cake mix
- ½ cup maraschino cherry juice
- ¼ cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 package (6oz) white chocolate
- 3 tbsp. whipping cream
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Prepare cake mix according to the package directions and substitute maraschino cherry juice for a portion of the water.
- Fold in chopped maraschino cherries.
- Pour into muffin tins and bake for the recommended time (and temperature) as on the cake mix box.
- Allow to cool completely before coating with the white chocolate glaze.
To prepare glaze:
- Combine white chocolate and cream in a deep bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir.
- Add butter and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Microwave on high for an additional 10 to 15 seconds if needed to let butter and white chocolate melt.
- Add in sugar and vanilla and stir still smooth.
- Spread glaze over cupcakes and cool to allow the glaze to harden. Top with one maraschino cherry.