Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
I picked up some adorable cupcake liners & toppers at the grocery store last week and felt inspired to make some cupcakes for Valentine’s day. Really you could make these cupcakes for any occasion and decorate however you want. I wanted a white recipe so I went with a white cake and vanilla buttercream icing. I had some Wilton cake sparkles that I sprinkled on top and voilá….a Valentine’s Day Cupcake!
The cupcake itself is not overly sweet. I find the icing adds the extra element of sweetness and you really can’t go wrong with anything buttercream. It’s smooth, rich and delicious!
Plus, it’s easy to make! I have a KitchenAid mixer and it did most of the work for me. If you don’t have one, a handheld mixer will also do the job.
For more Valentine’s Day themed recipes, check out these 2 Ingredient Valentine Bites, Valentine Cupcake Candy Surprise, Skinny Raspberry Milkshake, Cherry Bomb Brownies and Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add paper liners to a muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening and milk with an electric mixer on low speed for about a minute. Beat an additional two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
- Add egg whites and vanilla to mixing bowl. Beat another 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add a scoop of batter to each cupcake liner until almost full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat powdered sugar and butter with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add in vanilla and milk and increase speed to medium. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Spread icing over cooled cupcakes. Optional: add cake sprinkles or cupcake toppers to decorate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 9.4gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0.6gUnsaturated Fat: 4.8gCholesterol: 12.1mgSodium: 124.2mgCarbohydrates: 31.7gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 23.3gProtein: 2.6g