- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add paper liners to a muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening and milk with an electric mixer on low speed for about a minute. Beat an additional two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
- Add egg whites and vanilla to mixing bowl. Beat another 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add a scoop of batter to each cupcake liner until almost full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat powdered sugar and butter with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add in vanilla and milk and increase speed to medium. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Spread icing over cooled cupcakes. Optional: add cake sprinkles or cupcake toppers to decorate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216 Total Fat: 9.4g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0.6g Unsaturated Fat: 4.8g Cholesterol: 12.1mg Sodium: 124.2mg Carbohydrates: 31.7g Fiber: 1.2g Sugar: 23.3g Protein: 2.6g