Grilled Honey Dijon Chicken
Are you ready to get your grill on? BBQ season is coming or could be already started depending on what the weather is like where you live. In our home, we normally start to BBQ on a regular basis after the May long weekend. For this post, I used my indoor grill because my BBQ is kaput. I know, I need to go shopping for a new one. It’s on my to-do list.
One of our favourite foods to barbecue is CHICKEN! It’s affordable, healthy and mouthwatering delicious. I made a Grilled Honey Dijon Chicken for my family and it was divine. It was super easy with a simple marinade of honey, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and fresh chives. I used chicken breasts, but you could use another cut of chicken like drumsticks or thighs. My kids prefer boneless so I usually gravitate towards the boneless, skinless chicken breasts at the grocery store.
Taste your marinade before you brush it on the chicken. If you find the mustard too overpowering, add some more honey. I like mine mustardy (is that even a word?!) and it cooks off anyways.
Another kitchen item I recommend to have on hand is your meat thermometer. It’s hard to tell if the meat is cooked to the proper temperature without cutting into it. For a boneless, skinless chicken breast, you’ll want it to reach 165F for safe consumption. Bookmark this handy chicken cooking temperature chart.
I used a George Foreman indoor grill so both sides of the chicken cook at the same time. It also gives the nice grill marks on your meat. The honey cooks quickly so make sure you to use your meat thermometer to check doneness. Don’t rely on the colour.
Grilled Honey Dijon Chicken
Moist, tender, flavourful and EASY! Your family will be asking you to make this recipe again and again.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped plus 1 tsp for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, chives and salt and pepper. Brush marinade over both sides of the chicken breasts and put in the fridge to marinade until you are ready to grill.
- Place chicken on either your barbecue or indoor grill and grill until temperature reaches 165F with a meat thermometer. I used an indoor grill and it took about 10 minutes. Place on a serving platter.
- In the meantime, make the sauce by stirring together the Dijon mustard and honey together in a bowl. Spread sauce over the chicken and serve.
I served our chicken with some steamed asparagus. Delish!
While my chicken was grilling, I grabbed my food steamer to make some asparagus. I’m all about the kitchen appliances today. If you got ’em, use ’em!
Because most of the sauce will cook off, you’ll want to prepare extra to drizzle over your cooked chicken. It’s a two ingredient sauce: honey and Dijon mustard. As a bonus, it also tastes yummy on top of asparagus.
The final result is tender, juicy and flavourful. Each bite is a little bit of sweet and spice. Make some extra sauce for dipping, if you prefer.
My youngest daughter isn’t fond of mustard so I held my breath waiting to see if she would say anything when I put the plate in front of her. Surprisingly, she ate ALL of her chicken breast and most of the asparagus. It made me feel good knowing she enjoyed it!
For more yummy chicken recipes, download the Chicken Farmers of Canada Shopping App. It will help you organize your grocery list, find delicious recipes to try and syncs your list in real-time with other household members. Best of all, it’s 100% free.
Win a $5,000 Backyard Makeover
Chicken Farmers of Canada wants to help YOU get your backyard ready for summer. Enter to win $5,000 so you can buy that fancy BBQ you’ve been eyeing or a comfy new patio set. I’d buy a BBQ AND patio set. Then, I’d put the rest of the money towards building a deck.
For a second chance to win, download that their grocery list app. Once you download and sign in, you’ll be automatically entered a second time. For a prize like this one, you’ll want to have the maximum entries you can get!
The contest ends on June 24, 2016 and is open to Canada. Good luck to everyone!
#NoNakedChicken Twitter Party
Join us on May 11th at 9 pm ET for the #NoNakedChicken Twitter Party!
- Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2016
- Time: 9 to 10 pm ET
- Hashtag: #NoNakedChicken
- Hosts: @ChickenFarmers @SJConsulting_CA
- Eligibility: Open to Canada; Check out the official rules
- Outset Non-Stick Grill Grids and Wok
- Brilliant – Patio Acrylic 3-Tier Beverage Dispenser with Ice Chamber Base
- Asobu Double Walled Stainless Steel ICAN Pack of 4- Red
- Additional CFC Swag Bags
RSVP Below by adding your Twitter name (ie. @simplystacienet) in the Name field and your Twitter link (ie. https://twitter.com/simplystacienet) in the URL field.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.