Homemade Vanilla Extract
I feel so fancy! I made my own homemade vanilla extract and you will not believe how EASY it is to do.
Say goodbye to artificial vanilla extract with this simple DIY. All you’ll need is some vodka and vanilla beans. That’s it. Seriously.
At first, I thought I’d never be able to make my own extract. I couldn’t find vanilla beans anywhere. My small town grocery stores didn’t have it and I wasn’t about to drive to Ottawa to find it. Thankfully, Bulk Barn came to my rescue. They carry vanilla beans. I found them by the cash register. Just ask the cashier when you go if you need help locating them in the store.
All you do is split two vanilla beans in half and scrape out the seeds. That’s where all that yummy vanilla flavour hides. Add your seeds and pods to a cup of vodka and seal in a jar. Let the mixture sit for 6 weeks before you use it. Make sure to shake it up about once a week.
I started using mine over the holidays in all my Christmas baking. Use it the same way you would storebought vanilla extract. Easy peasy.
You might also like this orange extract.
Have you ever made your own vanilla extract?
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 vanilla beans
- Split the vanilla beans down the middle, lengthwise. Remove the seeds inside.
- Add vanilla bean pods and seeds to a jar with a lid. Pour vodka inside. Shake.
- Store for 6 weeks in your pantry. Shake it about once a week.
It lasts for up to 6 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Nakpunar 12 Glass Bottles, 8.5 oz. w/Black Cap - Marasca, Quadra Bottle for Oil, salad dressing vinegar bottle, message in the bottle, wedding favors
- Madagascar Vanilla Beans - Gourmet Bourbon Grade A. Great for baking, making pure vanilla extract, vanilla paste etc. Average length of at least 5 inches. (10 Beans)
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g