21 Oktoberfest Recipes
My first introduction to Oktoberfest was in a movie. Remember National Lampoon’s European Vacation? I remember watching it on Super Channel when I was a kid. It wasn’t the most kid-appropriate film, but I loved it. There was a scene in the movie when the Griswold’s are at Oktoberfest in Germany. It’s pretty funny!
Another little tidbit – I studied German in high school from grade 11 through OAC (grade 13 in Ontario back then). In fact, I won the German award at my high school graduation. Today, if you were to ask me to speak German, I’d be only able to do the basics. My French is much, much better though!
With Oktoberfest coming up, I wanted to honour my German heritage (my grandma on my dad’s side is German) by making some Oktoberfest recipes! Maybe I’ll even spring for some German beer too…we’ll see.
- Flädlesuppe: German Chicken Noodle Soup
- Jägerspätzle: German dumplings with mushrooms
- German Beer Cheese Soup
- German spaetzle: Egg noodle dumpling side dish
- Rotkohl: German Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage
- Spiced Octoberfest Beer Bread
- Hot German Potato Salad
- Oktoberfest Potato Skins
- Crispy Potato Latkes
- Dampfnudeln mit Vanillesoße: German Steamed Dumplings with Vanilla Sauce
- Champignonrahmschnitzel: Schnitzel with Mushroom Cream Sauce
- German Style Pretzels
- Beer Brat Carbonara Pasta
- Oktoberfest Lager Stew
- Slow Cooker Sausage with Bavarian Sauerkraut
- Slow Cooker Cheddar Ale and Bratwurst Soup
- Slow cooker bratwurst and apples
- Obatzda: German Cheese Spread
- Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte: Black Forest Cake
- German Apple Cake
Some of the recipes are hard to understand so I included what it is in English. I attempted to pronounce them too and am sure I failed miserably. Herr Grubb would not be proud – eek!
If you can’t make it to Oktoberfest in Munich this year or even down to Kitchener-Waterloo (if you’re in Ontario), why not have your own Oktoberfest celebration? I think it would be fun to have a few friends over and sample some new cuisine!
You might also like this Sauerkraut Salad.
Which Oktoberfest recipe do you want to try?