Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
I picked up some adorable cupcake liners & toppers at the grocery store last week and felt inspired to make some cupcakes for Valentine’s day. Really you could make these cupcakes for any occasion and decorate however you want. I wanted a white recipe so I went with a white cake and vanilla buttercream icing. I had some Wilton cake sparkles that I sprinkled on top and voilá….a Valentine’s Day Cupcake!
The cupcake itself is not overly sweet. I find the icing adds the extra element of sweetness and you really can’t go wrong with anything buttercream. It’s smooth, rich and delicious!
Plus, it’s easy to make! I have a KitchenAid mixer and it did most of the work for me. If you don’t have one, a handheld mixer will also do the job.
Valentine's Day Cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups icing sugar (otherwise known as “powdered sugar” depending where you live!)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add paper liners to a muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening and milk with an electric mixer on low speed for about a minute. Beat an additional two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
- Add egg whites and vanilla to mixing bowl. Beat another 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add a scoop of batter to each cupcake liner until almost full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat icing sugar and butter with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add in vanilla and milk and increase speed to medium. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Spread icing over cooled cupcakes. Optional: add cake sprinkles or cupcake toppers to decorate.
For more Valentine’s Day themed recipes, check out these 2 Ingredient Valentine Bites, Valentine Cupcake Candy Surprise, Skinny Raspberry Milkshake, Cherry Bomb Brownies and Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies.