With all the added chemicals in cleaning products today, it’s no wonder we are getting back to basics by cleaning with simple products like hydrogen peroxide. How simple is hydrogen peroxide? It’s literally water + oxygen – doesn’t get more simple than that!
I used to use hydrogen peroxide on wounds, but have learned that’s a no-no. Call me weird I didn’t mind when it was fizzing (and hurting like crazy!). My mom used to say it was cleaning the wound. We know differently now!
Ways to Clean Your Home with Hydrogen Peroxide
1. I use hydrogen peroxide as somewhat of an all-purpose cleaner. I have a little spray bottle full and I use it for cleaning just like I would with bleach – but without the harsh smells and chemicals.
2. There are many ways to use peroxide for cleaning, but my favourite is whitening grout. Mix peroxide with enough white flour to create a paste. Apply the paste to your grout and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit over night, then rinse with water the next morning. Considering how expensive and complicated it’s been to clean grout in the past, you can see why this one is my favourite!
3. Getting rid of mold and mildew with peroxide requires one part peroxide and two parts water. Let the mixture sit on the moldy area for about ten minutes before scrubbing off.
4. Soak sponges and wash rags in a peroxide/water mixture (1:1 ratio) for 15 minutes to disinfect. You can also use it to disinfect your cutting boards.
5. To remove soap scum in the bathtub and to clean your toilet bowls, you just need to pour/spray peroxide on the stains. Let sit for about half an hour, then rinse to remove the tough stains. Mix the peroxide with water using a 1:1 ratio for the toilet.
6. Remove stains with peroxide by mixing a teaspoon of peroxide with a little non-gel toothpaste. Rub the paste onto the stain with a cloth, then rinse. For fresh blood stains, apply peroxide directly to the stain. Rinse and wash.
Cleaning your home without chemicals is possible when you use products like vinegar, peroxide, and even lemons! Keeping a bottle of peroxide around as an all-purpose cleaner is a wonderful way to get everything clean without the hassle of switching cleaning products for every room. It’s completely safe, too, which is a plus when you have kids and pets around!
Have you ever used hydrogen peroxide to clean your home?