Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes are a deliciously creamy comforting side dish! They’re perfect for Christmas dinner or just a weeknight meal with 4 simple ingredients and just 2 steps.
Comfort foods are the best on a cold winter night but they take a LOT of work sometimes. Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes are one of the tastiest side dishes to make for your weeknight dinner or even a potluck side dish. Tender potatoes are smothered in a creamy and cheesy mixture.
At first glance, this dish looks like macaroni and cheese! It’s actually potatoes – frozen hash browns, to be exact. This is easy, cheesy comfort food. It’s literally just dumping your ingredients in the slow cooker and letting it do the rest of the work.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Frozen hash browns — you’ll use the whole bag!
- Cheddar cheese soup
- Evaporated milk
- Green onions
I didn’t even thaw my hash browns. I put a whole 900g bag of frozen hash browns in there along with two cans of cheddar cheese soup (yes, it exists!), evaporated milk and some green onions. Campbell’s makes a cheddar cheese soup you can use in this recipe. Grab two cans at the grocery store. No need to dilute it. You are going to put all that cheesy goodness right in there with the potatoes.
What I used for my Slow Cooker Potatoes
- Crockpot: I use my slow cooker almost every single day! Whether it’s for shredded chicken, a hearty beef stew, or even cheesecake.
- Cutting board: There’s almost no chopping in this recipe thanks to the frozen hash browns! I use a garnish of sliced green onions for a pop of color and freshness.
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
- First, toss all your ingredients into the slow cooker and mix everything together. You can mix right in the slow cooker or opt to use a mixing bowl. But why waste dishes?!
- Then, cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, stirring every couple hours.
- That’s it! Top with green onions and season with salt and pepper if you would like. Potatoes love salt and usually need a pinch for a stronger flavor.
If you’re not making this for a party or an army, you’ll likely have leftovers. Store any leftover potatoes in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
When you’re ready to reheat the cheesy potatoes, you can toss in the microwave for a fast reheat, or use the oven. For the oven, place potatoes in a covered casserole pan and cook at 300 degrees F until the potatoes are warmed through. I cover the potatoes so they don’t dry out as they reheat.
For the microwave, cook the potatoes in 30-second spurts and stir for the best results.
What Kind of Frozen Hash Browns Should I Use?
Frozen hash browns are some of the best kitchen shortcut ever, in my opinion. Dicing or shredding potatoes can take a LONG time, and you need a lot of diced potatoes to feed a crowd.
When you’re shopping for this Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes recipe, cubed potatoes or hash browns will work. You want to use frozen potatoes so they will thaw and reheat nicely without becoming mushy as they cook!
Now if you use shredded hash browns instead of cubed, you might find that you don’t have to cook as long. Just cook until it is well melted and the potatoes are cooked through.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
I use my Crockpot almost daily. The plastic slow cooker liners make clean-up a breeze, and it’s so hard to overcook anything!
I love brunch, but it’s a pain to wake up and make a bunch of food before noon. This slow cooker ham and potato hash is a popular breakfast dish for the day after Christmas! Throw your leftover ham with some frozen hash browns and onions for a delicious meal any time of day.
Did you know you can really make lasagna in a Crockpot?! Skip the oven and try this recipe for dinner tonight. You’ll be AMAZED!
Crockpots are meant for soup season. They’re usually massive and can simmer some amazing bisques and broths. I love a simple slow cooker verde chicken chili because it’s so flavorful but super easy.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
I served this side with some dill pickle roast beef. It’s such a fun and tangy take on a pot roast recipe.
We had some leftovers and ate them for dinner with my slow cooker beef stroganoff the next night too. John, who will never hesitate to tell his opinion on my recipes, gave his nod of approval.
Cheesy potatoes are one of my favorite sides to serve with my honey sriracha chicken! The cheese helps balance the spicy chicken. Plus, potatoes and chicken are a match made in heaven.
If you’re looking for a fancy weeknight dinner or Sunday supper, try these garlic steak bites! You’ll feel like you’re at a steakhouse in your own dining room.
Other comforting potato recipes to try…
Do you have any amazing Crockpot recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 1 900g bag of frozen hash browns
- 2 10 oz cans of cheddar cheese soup
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 4 green onions, plus 2 extra for garnish, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix together the hash browns, cheddar cheese soup, evaporated milk and green onions in the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve hot. Garnish with green onions and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 512Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g