Two comfort foods combine together in one pot for one of the best quick dinners you’ll ever have. One-Pot Chili Rigatoni is hearty, flavorful, and ready in under 30 minutes. This beef chili dish keeps the dishes out of the sink and you out of the kitchen! The noodles soak up the delicious sauce for an amazing comfort dish.
Weeknights are crazy busy for me, so it is important that I have some quick, easy and delicious meal ideas in my recipe “tool belt”. I need meals that can be prepared from start to finish in less than 30 minutes like this simple recipe for One-Pot Chili Rigatoni. They also need to be ones that my family will eat and enjoy. There are a couple of picky eaters in my home!
One-pot pasta recipes fit the bill perfectly for those busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table quickly. This one-pot chili pasta recipe checks all the boxes, especially when it comes to a delicious meal everyone enjoys.
You’re going to love how simple this chili rigatoni is to make. It’s basically just throwing your ingredients in a pot and letting your stove do the rest of the work. The noodles cook right in the sauce. No boiling water. No draining the pasta. No hassle.
Since I am cooking the pasta right in the same pot, I also add some beef broth. It may look a little soupy at first, but don’t worry because it will thicken up.
I used Rigatoni noodles, but any type of pasta will work. Just look at the noodle package directions to see how long the pasta should be in the sauce. Smaller noodles won’t need to be in there as long while thicker ones will require some extra time. Use your best judgment and feel free to taste test!
Why You’ll Love One-Pot Chili Rigatoni
- This is comfort food
- Smells so good and tastes even better
- Less mess, less fuss
- Dinner in under 30 minutes
- Budget-friendly recipe
- Ground beef – I recommend lean ground beef.
- Sweet onion – Starts building the flavor base for this dish.
- Green pepper – For me, this is a must in any chili recipe.
- Pasta sauce – The tomato base for the chili sauce.
- Kidney beans – Dark kidney beans or light beans.
- Chili powder – Primary ingredient of chili seasoning.
- Cumin – Adds a warm, earthy, slightly peppery flavor.
- Rigatoni pasta
- Beef broth – Adds richness to the sauce for the pasta to cook in.
- Cheddar cheese.
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
How to Make One-Pot Chili Rigatoni
- Step One: Add ground beef, onion, and green pepper to a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often to break up the beef, for about 7 minutes or until beef is browned. Drain excess fat.
- Step Two: Add in pasta sauce, kidney beans, spices, and stir to combine. Then stir in beef broth and rigatoni. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Step Three: Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Step Four: Remove lid and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until rigatoni is cooked.
- Step Five: Remove lid and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until rigatoni is cooked.
- Step Six: Serve hot and top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and green onions, if desired.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve With One-Pot Chili Rigatoni
This hearty one-pot pasta dish easily stands on its own, but I do recommend serving it with a simple salad and some bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Easy Cucumber Salad
- Best Easy Garlic Bread
- Garlic Twists
- Cheesy Garlic Biscuits
- Cheddar Dill Muffins
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t worry if it seems like there is a lot of liquid as you are preparing the recipe. You will need it to cook the pasta, once it is added, and then it will thicken up nicely.
- Be sure to wait until the last 15 minutes of cooking time to add the pasta.
- Also, don’t forget to remove the pot from the heat before stirring in the cheese just before serving.
- Shred the cheese from a block and it will melt much better. Pre-shredded cheese contains a preservative that prevents it from melting as well.
Variations and Substitutions
- Monterey Jack cheese makes a nice addition to the Cheddar cheese.
- Black beans may be used in place of kidney beans.
- You can swap the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.
- Use any kind of pasta you like. Macaroni, medium shells, and rotini are just a few options.
- Chili seasoning can be used instead of chili powder and cumin.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, this freezes well. Transfer cooled leftovers to an airtight container or freezer bag, leaving a ½-inch headspace for expansion. Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave at 30-second intervals until warmed through.
Can this be made ahead?
Yes, you can make this ahead of time. Prepare the recipe all the way up to the pasta and cheese. Store the chili mixture in the refrigerator for no more than 2 days before serving. Reheat on the stovetop. Add the pasta for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
Alternatively, you can precook the pasta until al dente, and gently toss it in some olive oil. Store in a zipper bag in the refrigerator with the chili for up to 2 days. Reheat together on the stovetop. This will cut down on the cooking time when you are ready to serve.
More One-Pot Recipes
- One-Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- One-Pot Chicken & Broccoli Rice
- One-Pot Sausage & Cheese Cappelletti
- One-Pot Unstuffed Pepper Pasta
- One-Pot Chicken & Stuffing
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cups pasta sauce (about 1 jar)
- 1 (15.5oz/540ml) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups rigatoni pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Add ground beef, onion and green pepper to a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook, stirring often to break up the beef, for about 7 minutes or until beef is browned. Drain excess fat.
- Add in pasta sauce, kidney beans, spices and stir to combine. Then stir in beef broth and rigatoni. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until rigatoni is cooked.
- Remove from heat. Stir in shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot and top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and green onions, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 1383mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 40g