Hot summer days can only mean one thing: Mountains of ice cream!
Hi everyone, it’s Nicky here from Kitchen Sanctuary with a recipe for the best ice cream ever invented.
No-Churn Chocolate Cake Ice Cream
It’s also so easy to make!
This no-churn recipe uses store-bought chocolate fudge cake (make your own if you like – the cake part of Stacie’s death-by-chocolate cupcakes with some fudge sauce would be great) and cocoa powder, plus chocolate sprinkles – just in case you were worried that there wasn’t enough chocolate!
The ice cream itself is a simple combination of condensed milk and heavy cream (plus the chocolate powder) – whipped to creamy perfection.
Using condensed milk helps to prevent ice crystals forming when the ice cream is in the freezer, that means you don’t need to keep going back to stir it. Once it’s frozen, just leave it out of the freezer for a couple of minutes to soften slightly, and you’re good to go.
The most decadent, creamy ice cream. You’ll probably want to hide this from the kids!
This ice cream lasted a day in my house. I’ve made lots of no-churn of ice cream in the past, but the addition of the cake is a revelation. I’m already thinking of other cakey ice creams – carrot cake, red velvet cake, lemon drizzle cake. The possibilities are endless!
Do you like homemade ice cream?
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups heavy/whipping cream
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 chocolate fudge cake (mine was a 1 ½ pound double chocolate fudge cake)
- 4 tbsp chocolate curls
- Pour the condensed milk, vanilla extract, cream and cocoa powder into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk using the balloon attachment until you reach the soft peaks stage (will just hold its shape when you lift the whisk).
- Whilst the ice cream is being whisked, chop the fudge cake into 1 inch cubes.
- Once the ice cream mixture is thick, add in half of the chocolate cake chunks and fold in with a spatula.
- Spoon half of the ice cream mixture into a loaf or pie tin (or other freezable container) that has been lined with baking parchment. Sprinkle on half of the remaining chocolate cake chunks. Top with the rest of the ice cream and arrange the remaining chocolate cake chunks on top. Sprinkle on the chocolate curls and place in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours (cover with a lid if freezing for longer).
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer approx. 5 minutes before you want to eat it – to allow it to soften slightly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 618Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 8g